Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Baby and dog

sorchului is offline Registered User

Baby and dog

My little girl (19 months) used to be so friendly with my parents' dog. A few weekends ago we went back home with some balloons and the dog was trying to bite them. My little girl saw what happened and became so afraid of the dog since. She is now very reluctant to visit my parents' place and if she is there, she refuses to walk and wants to be carried.

Is that ballon incident really that traumatic for her? How can we improve the situation as we are planning to leave her and the helper at my parents' place for a 2 week vacation?

carang is offline Registered User

if she's there for 2 weeks, she'll get over it.

when she's afraid to you "oohhhh" and "ahhhh" over her or do you matter of factly say, "oh, come on! there's nothing to be afraid of!" and make her walk? or do you give in and carry her?

sorchului is offline Registered User

Thanks Carang for your reply.

My helper usually takes my girl to my parents' place and she is scared of the dog. I guess that's why my girl becomes fearful of it and doesn't want to walk at all. I will take her to my parent's place myself one day and will tell her it's fine, don't be afraid...' see if it will be better.

geocup Guest

Balloons can really instil fear in a child (I personally do not enjoy them either because I never know when they may burst). When they do burst , they can extract a 'shock' emotion from your little one whom can attach that shock and subsequent fear to what was around them at the time.. like your parent's dogs.
    Best thing to do is pretend it never happened. Seriously. Don't even use the words 'afraid/ scared' when talking about the incident as they may then believe...(mmm maybe I should be afraid?). Just do the normal things you do at your parents.

carang is offline Registered User

if your helper is afraid of the dog, she is FOR SURE passing that to your child as well.

Scroll to top