Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Uneducated teachers

thanka2 is offline Registered User

I have to say that in my experience in both the HK primary and secondary schools I've met plenty of teachers who were "qualified" on paper to teach but were not good teachers at all. Conversely, I've met teachers who didn't hold the highest credentials but who had a knack for teaching and were much more "qualified" in my opinion. Having said that, there is nothing wrong with being fully qualified (or working toward it) for the position you're in but as a parent I would rather sit and watch the teacher in action and decide for myself whether or not he or she is "qualified." A piece of paper doesn't tell me much, honestly.

“Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

AmyH is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by thanka2 View Post
    I have to say that in my experience in both the HK primary and secondary schools I've met plenty of teachers who were "qualified" on paper to teach but were not good teachers at all. Conversely, I've met teachers who didn't hold the highest credentials but who had a knack for teaching and were much more "qualified" in my opinion. Having said that, there is nothing wrong with being fully qualified (or working toward it) for the position you're in but as a parent I would rather sit and watch the teacher in action and decide for myself whether or not he or she is "qualified." A piece of paper doesn't tell me much, honestly.
    Would you apply the same rules for a doctor? Again, I never said that all qualified teachers were great but it should be a minimum requirement before you can teach children as far as I am concerned.

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by AmyH View Post
    Would you apply the same rules for a doctor? Again, I never said that all qualified teachers were great but it should be a minimum requirement before you can teach children as far as I am concerned.
    Again, I would judge everything on a case-by-case basis, honestly. I think that the evidence speaks for itself, regardless of what the paper says. And, again, I say this because I've witnessed far too many "qualified" teachers who were anything but in reality. I think that experience and heart make a bigger difference than anything--especially at the kindergarten and primary level. Yes, it would be nice if every teacher in HK held a high qualification but that's not the reality and honestly, it doesn't bother me all that much.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

carang is offline Registered User

a lack of cantonese does not exempt you from using local schools. There is one in sai kung that is designated as a school for non-chinese speaking children. We have enrolled our son in it as have many other expats in sai kung. there are more of these schools around, you just have to look for them.
    Posted via Mobile Device

TheQuasimother is offline Registered User

Cara, which school is that? It's almost impossible to know from the EDB website. And, is there any learning support for non-Cantonese speakers at that school?

“If you want to get to the castle, you’ve got to swim the moat.” Richard Jenkins in Eat Pray Love

carang is offline Registered User

lee siu yam memorial. It is right next to the public pool along the waterfront.

No school fees. Homework help after school if you want it. You choose chinese, cantonese or madarin. Mathematics, you choose english or cantonese. Other subjects are english.
    Posted via Mobile Device

TheQuasimother is offline Registered User

Thanks! Definitely worth looking into! It would save us HEAPS!

“If you want to get to the castle, you’ve got to swim the moat.” Richard Jenkins in Eat Pray Love

AmyH is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by carang View Post
    a lack of cantonese does not exempt you from using local schools. There is one in sai kung that is designated as a school for non-chinese speaking children. We have enrolled our son in it as have many other expats in sai kung. there are more of these schools around, you just have to look for them.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    If we were planning on staying permanently in hong kong that would definitely be something that we would look in to for our children, but at the moment our plan is to go back to the UK while my son and daughter are both still in school. These types of school would be perfect for us as my biggest gripe about us being here is the cost of schools!

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast