Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Uneducated teachers

AmyH is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by thanka2 View Post
    Your son must attend a non-local school, then. :)
    That made me giggle! Yes he attends an international school!

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by AmyH View Post
    My son's school certainly is not as you have described above. They do enquiry based learning and he has never had to memorise anything. His teacher recently contacted me for a meeting to discuss my son's development. This worried me a little as I thought there may be something wrong. It turns out that because he is left handed (me too!) she was concerned about the way in which she was teaching him to write and was just wanted to have my input into it. During this discussion she pointed out that when he was concentrating and she was at the top of the class she was noticing a slight turn in his eye (something we had not noticed). We took him to see an optician and it turns out he needed glasses. This was not something we would have ever noticed as he was reading fine and was not getting headaches etc so we were very thankful to the teacher for this.
    I am very happy with my son's teacher and she is passionate, caring and good at her job. The qualifications are not the only thing I looked at when choosing a school, but they were my minimum requirements.
    Oh, and to clarify, I brought out what the school system (in general) in Hong Kong is like to highlight that this is the same system that is training up the majority of Hong Kong's teachers. So, compared to even the "qualified" teachers in the public system, sometimes some of the "unqualified" ones who teach with heart and passion are at least an improvement over the system's status quo.

Of course, the people who have their children enrolled in international or private schools pay a very high sum (as you probably very well know) for the education of their children, thus this opportunity is not available to everyone. And for that high sum the international and private schools have the "buying power" to attract the best of the best which is wonderful for the students and the teachers. Unfortunately, this is not the day-to-day reality of the majority of education in HK. :(
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

carang is offline Registered User
    It was a decision that we made before we moved here. My son started his education in the UK and we wanted him to continue on the same path while here, so that when we return he can slot back in to his class with relative ease.

Also, the move here was quite a transition for him and we did not want to make it more difficult for him but putting him into a government school where he would struggle to understand what was being taught and also may have struggled in the playground during break time etc. I was not comfortable being in a situation where I could not help him with his homework etc.

Also, the fact that your husband is local and can quite easily help your children, converse easily with teachers etc puts you an an advantage with government schools. This was not an option for us at the time.
    this i can understand completely... for children who are of kindergarten age, though, i think that it could be an option, if more people knew it was out there.

for children who are already being educated overseas, to move here, then move home again.... an international school would be a very wise choice, especially if it follows the curriculum of the "home" country.

Ahem...and I'd better add a disclaimer here for Cara and other's like her (i.e. me) who have their children enrolled in local schools.

DISCLAIMER: I am not saying that local school teachers are all rubbish teachers. They are not. There are a lot of good local teachers and a lot of good local schools, but my feeling is the overall public school system in HK is broken and there are a lot of uncaring teachers out there that have that "iron rice bowl" mentality (especially the older teachers). So, if you're going to place your child in the local system, the most important is to seek out a good school with good teachers and observe them and make sure you're okay with their teaching philosophy etc. My son attends a local kindergarten and we are pleased with it and his teachers but then again, this local kindergarten is run much the same as an international kindergarten so that is unique.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a

Mother of Two

Quote Originally Posted by thanka2 View Post
    Oh, and to clarify, I brought out what the school system (in general) in Hong Kong is like to highlight that this is the same system that is training up the majority of Hong Kong's teachers. So, compared to even the "qualified" teachers in the public system, sometimes some of the "unqualified" ones who teach with heart and passion are at least an improvement over the system's status quo.

Of course, the people who have their children enrolled in international or private schools pay a very high sum (as you probably very well know) for the education of their children, thus this opportunity is not available to everyone. And for that high sum the international and private schools have the "buying power" to attract the best of the best which is wonderful for the students and the teachers. Unfortunately, this is not the day-to-day reality of the majority of education in HK. :(
    It is very sad for any student to have a teacher that does not care about the very important role that they play in a child's development. It can cause great damage.

It is very sad for any student to have a teacher that does not care about the very important role that they play in a child's development. It can cause great damage.
    Yes, it is sad but there is a lot of additional things to understand about the stress and nature of the work local teachers deal with. Sometimes the apathy is truly understandable especially when they're handed classes of 40+ students with a large percentage SEN (Special Educational Needs) with inadequate training to deal. In HK SEN students are totally integrated into the classroom which often means they're just thrown in there and they and the teachers are supposed to just get along as usual--without any real extra support. Also, the EDB is constantly changing it's expectations and in general making the workload of teachers (especially the "busy work") heavier. In my opinion, it's a problem with the system, not just the teachers.

Mother of Two

bryant.english is offline Registered User
    Please do not even try to tell me that Hong Kong is exempt from all of the above..... I do believe that you may have borrowed my rose tinted glasses if you think this!
    Just to add that if Hong Kong chose to make it compulsory for all teachers to be university educated the cost of your children's education would probably triple...

Quote Originally Posted by bryant.english View Post
    Just to add that if Hong Kong chose to make it compulsory for all teachers to be university educated the cost of your children's education would probably triple...
    Doubtful, considering all of the teachers in my son's school are already qualified but we would cross that bridge if we came to it.
    Last edited by AmyH; 01-17-2011 at 04:11 PM.

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast