Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Uneducated teachers

carang is offline Registered User
    all i'm saying is that it isn't fair to paint them all with the same brush.

i think we can all agree that there are some well qualified teachers that are horrible and shouldn't be teaching.
    likewise, there are some unqualified "teachers" that are fantastic (i can think of 3 off the top of my head...that includes me (he he he)).

if i had it all to do over again, i would probably have gotten a BEd. I still might. I'm just too busy right now with my playgroup centre to even contemplate it. but just because i don't have it, doesn't mean i'm not good. the same can be said for some others out there in the same situation as i am in. i will grant that there are MANY out there who should NOT be teaching, though, so i'm not in complete disagreement with you on that.

AmyH is offline Registered User
    I would have no issues with Cara's situation where she runs a play group as I would not expect a play group leader to be a "qualified" teacher, I would expect in that situation for that person to have been vetted by the equivalent of the criminal records bureau (UK) to ensure they are considered "safe" to work with children, but again I am not sure of Cara's play group as I dont know if the children are unaccompanied or if the sessions are attended by parents.
    I do believe that in a "class room" setting where the children are being "schooled", that the person doing that would be qualified to do so.

geocup Guest
    My point is.. I think it is disappointing that so many institutions and parents do not care about the back ground of teachers and just go for what looks 'good'. Actually, I am stunned that there are no criminal background checks here too. Seriously, anyone, could be teaching your child. There should be a mandatory police checks.

geocup Guest
    I agree with you AmyH. I believe that people who set up play groups/educational institutions/language learning centres should have criminal checks. As well as teachers!! Seriously! Can not believe that this is not done here. Parents need to be more confident to ask about the background of their child's teacher.

i would have no qualms whatsoever about having background checks. i think it would be a VERY good thing. but i would extend it to sports coaches, too.

and just for info: 99% of my classes REQUIRE someone to accompany each child. we do offer a couple of classes for older children that do not require that each child be accompanied.

AmyH is offline Registered User
    In the UK it is standard practice to have police checks- even if somebody is going to complete repairs on the school grounds they have to be checked. Again, I wrongly assumed that this was standard practice in Hong Kong but obviously not. This should be mandatory.

geocup Guest
    There should be standards that teachers meet that include educational and experience.

I also agree that ONLY qualified teachers should be in schools. This holds true for ALL primary and secondary schools. In the past, most schools here didn't have qualified teachers. I think that the gov't is slowly catching up with the rest of the world when it comes to this. I remember back in the mid 90s, I taught English to 3 or 4 "teachers" from local schools. Not one was qualified to teach, rather they had degrees from other disciplines.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast