Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Uneducated teachers

hf23 is offline Registered User
    Wow. You guys are very passionate. I totally agree with you "The QM". I feel like teaching children is my calling :) There is much more to teaching than standing in front of the classroom and just what happens in the classroom.

In Australia, we have similar procedures to what cupcakes, AmyH and Bumps have described. ANYONE who could potentially come into contact with children must have a background check done on them, this is to minimise the risk of something awful happening to the children on school premises. In an ideal world, we wouldn't have to carry out such routines and everyone would have a "heart of gold" but this is not the case. When the media report child abuse that occurs in a school setting, it is sickening. A school should be safe environment for children to play and learn. Unfortunately, we have to be pro-active about protecting out children even when it comes to the cost of a poor young male teacher not even being able to give a child a hug after they've taken a tumble in the playground for fear of "how it looks".

mommybee is offline Registered User
    Just wondering as a working parent, how exactly do you know if your child's teacher has gotten the qualification to teach or not? Most schools here don't exactly list out all the employed teacher's CV and qualification.

geocup Guest
    Just ask the teacher. No big deal for teachers to be asked. If they are qualified they are more than happy to answer you.

TheQuasimother is offline Registered User
    Hf23

Yes. I was told the most valuable piece of paper in NSW is my security clearance! I hold it dearly. But HK is getting up to speed with it. New foreign teachers employed by EDB, HK are now required to get a CNCC - Certificate of No Criminal Conviction.

Cupcakes
    And the thing is, even with the number of years experience and continual PD, I still don't think I know enough. There is always something I need to train for e.g. I'm on the quest of either Sp. Ed in Literacy Recovery & Gifted Ed or going on to a PHD to do field research on an area of interest. So I don't understand how teachers who aren't qualified can get mighty about their abilities.

The worst I have encountered so far has been to hire unqualified foreigners with no teaching experience to teach local teachers how to teach???!!! I mean, that would mean adults who were educated yonks ago with methodologies that may be outdated! E.g. Implementing English taught in a First Language setting directly into an ESL setting without thought! How crazy is that! They don't do that even where I'm from - Australia, not at in the schools I have encountered! Or recently, finding out a certain education centre hiring a high school graduate (white of course) to write the writing curriculum for enhancement lessons of international/local ESL students!

I'm a high school teacher and while my son is in Kindie, I've never once admitted to his teacher that I know how to teach him. At every parent teacher meeting, I always ask how I can support his learning. There are the common sense things we do as parents/home educators but his kindie teacher always gives me a better idea of what I need to do to enhance his development as part of directed fun play/learning.

Schools are no place for unqualified educators who THINK they can. It's not like afterschool care/enhancement. Learning is a long term journey that requires thought and deliberate planning. Only teachers who know their pedagogy can do that. Good teachers don't have short term visions. Good teachers plan for a child's long term development. It's more than a song and a dance in the long run. After a year in K1, you can tell when your child's been developed by a teacher or someone who thinks they're a teacher. I've experienced this first hand from two different schools (where my son's been educated). TEACHER EDUCATION makes a difference.
    “If you want to get to the castle, you’ve got to swim the moat.” Richard Jenkins in Eat Pray Love

AmyH is offline Registered User
    mommybee you could always e-mail the principal and ask the question? Surely you would have a right to know that someody who is a major part of you childs education and development has the necessary skills and qualifications to do the job? I know that with my son (I am a SAHM) I had many conversations with my son's teacher before school every day and we discussed her career (involved teaching in UK in a school). I cannot say the same for all of the teachers in that school but I do know that my son's teacher was qualified to teach.
    Last edited by AmyH; 08-19-2010 at 11:45 AM.

TheQuasimother is offline Registered User
    Mommybee, most schools divulge this. If it's a local school, they have to account for their teachers' qualifications to the EDB. So if you ask, they'd be able to tell you. If it's a reputable international school, they'd post it on their website. I know what qualifications my son's kindie teacher has and how much experience she has.
    “If you want to get to the castle, you’ve got to swim the moat.” Richard Jenkins in Eat Pray Love

geocup Guest
    I know what you mean QM! It is refreshing to hear your thoughts on this as I thought it was just me who found employing unqualified teachers a joke. I am the most qualified teacher at my school and I am always correcting other teacher's mistakes. Pulling them up on errors in their speech (one teacher always says 'I seen' instead of I have seen or I saw - drives me made!), classroom management, report writing, behaviour in front of the students etc. In fact I continually correct the mistakes of the English Supervisors who send out newsletters with mistakes all through it.

bagel is offline Registered User
    Thanks a lot for this useful discussion. As I research kindergartens, pre-school and formal playgroups for my son, I'll keep these issues in mind. As for those unqualified teachers without formal education, degree, training, certification etc, it sounds that they are finding ways to rationalize and justify how good they think they are. Degrees/certifications in any profession are a labor market signal for a reason, no matter how many years of professional expertise one gathers.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast