Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Uneducated teachers

geocup Guest

Again I agree with you Elise. When I said 'uneducated', I meant not educated in terms of the teaching profession. Some teachers CAN be very well qualified for example in science, but have NEVER studied how to actually teach.

AmyH is offline Registered User

I understand what you are saying with regards to best teachers having high price tags but have you seen the charges at most international kindergartens/primary/secondary schools? The least that the school could provide for all that money is "qualified" teachers.

Bumps Guest

I know - you would think that having the best teachers would be the first thing to be on the budget. But, no. Premisses (looks) would be the first on my school's budget. Teacher's salary comes so far down the line. I should explain that I teach for a very well regarded International School.

HappyV is offline Registered User

Elise - I wasn't referring to the standard of training, but that there were not such strict policies on teachers until the end of the 1980s. Where I am from, even government schools did not have 100% 'trained' staff at this time (and from what I understand, it was similar in other countries, especially once you got outside the core academic curriculum).

Cupcakes - no one can teach you how to teach. They can teach you the philosophy, paradigms and practices that underlie teaching, but they cannot tell you how to deal with 30 recalcitrant students in a classroom. That's why I value experience almost as much as the piece of paper. I'd take 20+ years of experience working with children over a piece of paper from a second rate university any day.

geocup Guest

HappyV - actually, I disagree with you. Teaching supervisors CAN and DO teach you how to deal with 30 students. It is how the teaching students is able to interpret what is taught to them!!!

lesliefu is offline Registered User

having taught for more than 10 years and just completed a PGDE this past (May - my 2nd one that is) I must agree that supervisors are indeed helpful to teaching one how to deal with 30 students, and that yes, they do teach alot of philosophy, paradigms too...at the end of the day I think it is the conversation between supervisor and student that happens which is the most educational to the student teacher. in fact after teaching for so long, i thought i knew MORE than the actual supervisor because i had the hands on experience, but i was able to learn things from the supervisor that made me see things in a wider light....at the end of the day, I think, it is up to how reflective a learner the student is...

geocup Guest

well done on gaining your PGDE, lesliefu! Do you teach primary or secondary? During my Prac. I sometimes thought that I knew more than my supervisor too.... funny. But one day I saw him in action with a kindergarten class and he was absolutely amazing.

TheQuasimother is offline Registered User

There is a great difference between homeschooling and what goes on in a classroom of 30-44. Also, the classes that Cara mentions are enhancement classes e.g. ballet, soccer etc. I have yet to come across a good enhancement class where my child is enrolled and the teacher is not qualified. If the teacher is not qualified/experienced, you can tell. E.g. A certain institution had a stay at home mum teach the Sat tots soccer and it was a disaster!

But JJ Mrs P brings up a very important point - The children deserve it. Why would you shortchange your child?

Yes. As trained teachers, we've all come across them, academics who are/were our supervisors during our teaching practicum telling us what to do and not to do. They may not know what is best as a lot of academics are governed by theories and limited research. Nothing beats practical classroom experience. But you do go to teacher's college for a good reason - the pedagogy. The practical knowledge untrained teachers have is incomplete behind the rationale.

Even EDB is aware of this. If you look at the salary disbursed to teachers, they do allow untrained teachers to gain experience and teach in the local schools but after a few years, your salary isn't increased unless you get your teaching certificate. Essentially, they DO require you to get trained.

So if a local school teacher is encouraged (through monetary means i.e. to progress along the salary scale - get their annual increment) to get trained after a few years, why should we allow any other school (especially the so called international schools) to get away with it?

“If you want to get to the castle, you’ve got to swim the moat.” Richard Jenkins in Eat Pray Love

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast