Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Uneducated teachers

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    i teach primary school...am taking a couple years off now to complete my doctorate though...the one thing with the PGDE though is that I wished the practicuum period was longer so those in training could get more because it takes a while for most to just KNOW the kids before practicing your teaching skills...

Elise is offline Registered User
    lesliefu - Sorry that you didn't get more practical experience, but I would like to briefly outline the practical experience incorporated into the BEd in Australia as you seem to think these BEd students have little to none.
    Year 1 - 3 week block ( lower % load) + 1 day per week for 8 weeks in other schools
    Year 2 - 4 week block ( % of load increases) + 1 day per week in other schools for 8 weeks
    Year 3 - 1 week of obs/prep + 6 week block - building up to 100% of teaching load in final week
    Year 4 - 1 week obs/prep + 10 weeks block - building up to 100% in final 3 weeks - also including action research and implementation project on a relevant problem existing within the assigned class, eg comprehension.
    The BEd, particularly at UNE, is heavy with practical and relevant teaching experience including miscue analysis, reading recovery strategies, programming, assessment and reporting, behaviour modification, etc.

I hope that helps clarify your worries about lack of practice teaching opportunities. When seeking a tertiary course, it is best to look at the reputation of a university for the faculty you wish to study.

TheQuasimother is offline Registered User
    In HK, if you are applying to the NET scheme with EDB and I presume it applies to the local teachers trained overseas too, you need to complete at least 40 days of teacher training to become a registered teacher - different from a permitted teacher. And, your foreign credentials need to be cleared by a quality assurance board.
    “If you want to get to the castle, you’ve got to swim the moat.” Richard Jenkins in Eat Pray Love

AmyH is offline Registered User
    http://www.ceop.police.uk/Wanted/CS0711-2062/

here is a perfect example why people working with children should be police checked. This guy is wanted (missing from UK), assumed abroad and has a TEFL certificate so could theoretically come to hong kong and get a job teaching our children. scary thought.

HappyV is offline Registered User
    The PGDE/PGCE courses are not really the equivalent of a BEd - more like the quiiv. of a GradDipEd, which in Australia usually has 10-12 weeks prac.

bryant.english is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by AmyH View Post
    In the UK it is standard practice to have police checks- even if somebody is going to complete repairs on the school grounds they have to be checked. Again, I wrongly assumed that this was standard practice in Hong Kong but obviously not. This should be mandatory.
    Let's remember that Ian Huntley had background checks done on him! Having also taught in the UK I can tell you that background checks will stop some poor sod who did something silly as a teenager but will not stop a determined child molestor. I teach in HK now and despite being qualified and background checked am never left alone with the children! As an English teacher in HK your job is essentially to teach from a standard set using teacher's guides and pre-prepared lesson plan. You normally have to prove yourself before you can use your own lesson plans and normally have to submit these to the school in advance.

Also, don't talk about the UK as though ..., it's like everyone has rose tinted glasses and forgets about huge classroom sizes, unqualified teaching assistants left on their own for days, violence, drugs, etc, etc. These threads always smack of prejudice to me. In my opinion, having worked in both, the HK education system leaves the UK system in it's dust and as such, I, and many other western teachers with kids, choose to have our kids schooled in local schools rather than the international ones.

Quote Originally Posted by bryant.english View Post
    Let's remember that Ian Huntley had background checks done on him.
    The rules changed because of this case. Although he had checks done on him, they were in a different police district and at the time police did not share information to other forces. This is not the case any more. I have experience in this as I worked for the CRB after the Huntley case.

I never said that UK schools were better than HK schools. I did say that it is better to have qualified teachers than non qualified teachers.

I really hate having to pay the money we do here to put my son in school, but for the money we do pay, the least they can provide the students is qualified teachers. I would have loved to put my son in to a local school but it was not possible as neither myself or my husband speak cantonese or mandarin and would be unable to help him with his studies.
    Last edited by AmyH; 01-17-2011 at 09:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bryant.english View Post
    Also, don't talk about the UK as though ..., it's like everyone has rose tinted glasses and forgets about huge classroom sizes, unqualified teaching assistants left on their own for days, violence, drugs, etc, etc.
    Please do not even try to tell me that Hong Kong is exempt from all of the above..... I do believe that you may have borrowed my rose tinted glasses if you think this!

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast