Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Uneducated teachers

geocup Guest

Uneducated teachers

I am really baffled at the number of uneducated teachers in HK. I know, that where I am from, to teach kindergarten, you must at least have a degree in Early Childhood. Here it seems, to me, that anyone who speaks English can teach. I have been a teacher for over 15 years and it always surprises me that here, schools and parents allow un-educated teachers teach their little ones.

I'm just curious, really. Do schools just care about what looks good? Do parents care about what just looks good. At the moment I am teaching at a school with someone from my home country and she only finished high school (which is great). However, I am so embarrassed by her grammar and vocabulary. She always says the wrong past tense and it is really awkward because I HAVE to correct her. I am an English teacher and it is my job to ensure that children learn the language correctly.

How can I let the principal know that this teacher is teaching the wrong things to students? This may not come across to you as bad, but, believe me it really is! She even talks in broken sentences. It makes me cringe.

I spent 8 years completing post high school education (Master in Special Ed.). Don't get me wrong, I am not jealous of this person or her position. ... I have rightly earned my registration, place in the school and salary. As I said, I am just baffled that parents and principals don't check into these things before they enrol them at schools.

Do you check if your child's teacher is well educated?

AmyH is offline Registered User
    I am quite shocked to learn that anybody who speaks English can teach. I would never ever apply for a position I was not qualified for so just assumed that everybody was the same.
    To be honest I just assumed that anybody that is in a teaching role would be "qualified" to teach. I assumed that it would be the school's job to check crudentials before hiring a "teacher".
    I do know that my son's teacher is qualified as she studied in UK and we have spoken about this many times. I am also aware that his soon to be new teacher is also qualified to teach (this was a conversation we had with the principal).
    In the UK there are class room assistants who would not be qualified but they are only there to assist and not to teach.
    In future I will definitely check with the school as I was not aware that this was common practice so thank you for letting us know!

Bumps Guest
    I know - where I am from it is a GIVEN that teachers are qualified, understand the psyco-social development of a child and have basic first aid (at the minimum). Not here though! Do people simply think that just because the teacher is from an English speaking country that they are qualified to teach? Really, I'm just curious how this 'education' system works in Hong Kong. Been teaching for 10 years and about 5 in HK.

matemate is offline Registered User
    unfortunately in hong kong, the only criteria to teach english is to be western looking and have english as your mother tongue. it also seems to be the demand from the typical parents - which you can see when you realize that people who look not western (i.e. asian) but who have english as their mother tongue are not accepted as english teachers by many schools and especially parents

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    in hong kong if you want to be an early childhood teacher you must possess a Post Graduate Certificate in Education for Early Childhood Education...that is at schools that are under the juridiction of the HK Education department. People with a BA can enroll in that course PT and FT to get the qualification - at least they have the basics...doesn't make them all star teachers. People without a BA can also do that course but the course work is double the time for those with a BA as they need to get their foundation courses first - stuff they missed in the BA I guess...

Playgroups have a different set of rules to follow and so I will not comment on that area - that is probably where you guys are seeing all the people who speak English and are caucasian teaching but that might not be "qualified" however you might put it.

In schools governed by the HKGovernment it is not legal to hire someone without the appropriate qualifications...in fact, now teaching staff are required to not only have the appropriate qualifications but also have majored in the area in which they teach.

International schools do not have to follow the HK Government, but are unlikely to hire people without basic teaching qualifications as they are willing to pay more and have more of a choice in terms of hiring teachers - many of them with plenty of qualifications and relevant experience.

The problem I see with HK teachers is that many do not enter the field of education as a first choice but rather as a back up so their hearts and passion may not be 200% in their profession. Just my thoughts :)

carang is offline Registered User
    I will admit to being one of those "unqualified" teachers. However, I have been teaching in HK for 15+ years, so there is something to be said for that. What I know, I learned "in the field" and not in a classroom. I KNOW I'm excellent at what I do. I also know that if I were to go "home" I would not be allowed into a classroom.

I do agree that it can be a problem, but just because someone is qualified, does not automatically mean they are good at what they do. Just as just because I'm not qualified doesn't mean I don't have a clue, I have experience to back me up.

carang is offline Registered User
    please excuse any typos, i've been enjoying a couple of bailey's tonight! ;)

Bumps Guest
    Mmmm Baileys and ice cream!

moving along.... when a teacher is educated (qualified) where I am from they are also well "experienced" as they must spend time in the field ..Which means they are very good at what they do!! . and usually this is really hard core.... I am really tired of some english teachers in HK being clowns !

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast