Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

25wks pregnant and moving to sai kung from hk island- which public hospital??

matrix1 is offline Registered User

25wks pregnant and moving to sai kung from hk island- which public hospital??

Hi,
    i am about 25 weeks pregant, due in December,
    and I was going to give birth in Queen Mary Hospital (public) in Pok fulam.

Now, we are just moving to Sai Kung. I and my husband really liked the look of the QMH. So we are a bit nervous about changing hospitals now.

What public hospital is the district hospital we must use, for Sai Kung (very close to the Town).
    Do people recommend that we use the closest hospital to Sai Kung, or stick with the QMH and just stay on HK island in a hotel for a few weeks prior to the expected due date??
    We like the QMH, are scared that the hospital quality is poorer in the New Territories, but are also of course thinking that its too far to travel from Sai Kung to QMH in a taxi once my waters have broken!!?

any help? any local knowledge of the Public Hospitals near Sai Kung?!
    thanks.

(also, any 'due date' clubs for december in Sai Kung region, thanks!)

Liquorice is offline Registered User
    Hi Matrix1, I live in Saikung and will be delivering in the Prince of Wales in Shatin in November. It's about a 15-20 minute drive from where I live. As I understand, the quality of the new territories hospitals is just a good as the quality of those on HK island. I chose the Prince of Wales because it is close, it has a neo natal unit, it is associated with HK University (a teaching hospital) and I have friends who delivered there in the past and could vouch for it.
    Last edited by Liquorice; 08-19-2010 at 01:34 PM.

Liquorice is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by matrix1 View Post
    (also, any 'due date' clubs for december in Sai Kung region, thanks!)
    I haven't found one (keep meaning to look for one) but would be keen to help you start one. I am 24 weeks; due 29th November...

carang is offline Registered User
    even if you stuck with QMH, you would NOT have to stay on hk island for a couple of weeks. it's not like sai kung is 400 miles away. i can get to QMH in about 50-55 minutes... if women can make it to Matilda, there will be absolutely no problem getting to QMH. how far did you think sai kung was?

quality of hospitals is not different from one public hospital to another. they ALL meet the same standards.

you seem to have a strange image of life in the new territories. we do have everything that hk island has, just not the rent prices or food delivery service.

Wink

ok, thank you guys for your feedback!

blessed is offline Registered User
    we recently moved from midlevels to near sai kung area but is keeping the delivery with QMH (late september). we took taxi over for recent check up as trial and it took around 30mins.... as carang mentioned above, it's very convenient to get to hki from sai kung!

i think it took us around least 20 minutes to get from midlevels to matilda (which was one of the hospital we considered originally), and not to mention for ladies travelling out from discovery bay to the island for delivery...

if you are comfortable with current hospital situation then there is no major need to switch, unless you find it very difficult / time consuming for your antenatal checks... and you can always switch to the closest family health clinic after birth for checkups for both mother & child post delivery.

all the best!

ok, many thanks, great feedback

carang is offline Registered User
    if you let me know where you're going to live, i can tell you the best route/fastest route for driving to QMH.