Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

How long did you breast feed for?

geocup Guest

How long did you breast feed for?

How long did you breast feed for and why did you stop when you did? What would be your best tips to give a new mum regarding BF?

Portia is offline Registered User
    15 months. Stopped because my LO was bored with it. Tip for new mums: BF lying down - it is so much easier and restful than sitting up. (But you might need to wait until the baby is a month or two old to BF lying down as it is not so easy to get a newborn into the right position. Once they are a few months old, it is very easy.)

geocup Guest
    Thank you! Please keep sharing your experiences!

shuchisingh is offline Registered User
    exclusively for 11 months then weaned him to cow's milk. was ready to wean after 6 months but bub didnot take to formula. so we put our energies into stablizing solids instead of getting hysterical about stopping bf. both bub and i had had enough by 11 months :) plus it is much more difficult to wean after babies are a year (or so)...

tips: buy a good feeding pillow. my sis-in-law passed me her "breastfriend" pillow. i started using it quite reluctuntaly but honestly that had a big part to play in what kept me going. it was easy as hell with that pillow. AND - listen to what everyone is saying coz ppl do have good advice and tips. but do what you are comfortable with - as good as bf is (and i am a big believer) there's no point killing yourself over it.

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User
    I wanted to BF until my son was 1 year old....but I got pregnant with my second when my son was 10 months old and started having horrible morning sickness so was forced to stop when my son was 11 months old because I was so sick. :( At 9 months though, I stopped pumping at work because work got really busy and so had to start giving a bottle of formula while I was at work though I still BFed when I was at home with my son.

The best tip I have...hmmm...would be to suggest that you relax and not worry so much about if your baby is getting enough milk! If your baby is peeing and pooping what he/she should be everyday and your baby is gaining the requisite amount of weight per week, don't stress your self out too much as to whether or not he/she is getting enough or not or whether your supply is good enough. This is much easier said than done because I know for my second, though I know this advice, I will still stress.....just enjoy the moments of bonding and don't think too much about it! Most of all, don't be affected by other people telling you that your baby is not getting enough! Just look at the wet diapers and the weight gain! Good luck!

shuchisingh is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by FutureHKmom View Post
    The best tip I have...hmmm...would be to suggest that you relax and not worry so much about if your baby is getting enough milk! If your baby is peeing and pooping what he/she should be everyday and your baby is gaining the requisite amount of weight per week, don't stress your self out too much as to whether or not he/she is getting enough or not or whether your supply is good enough. This is much easier said than done because I know for my second, though I know this advice, I will still stress.....just enjoy the moments of bonding and don't think too much about it! Most of all, don't be affected by other people telling you that your baby is not getting enough! Just look at the wet diapers and the weight gain! Good luck!
    couldnt have put it better. thankfully my baby's weight was always on track but i still stressed :)

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    I breastfed for 15 months and stopped when I was pregnant with my second. I think just get comfy and have patience. And if you have ANY problems at all, call LLL, they're so helpful.

I never found the breastfeeding cushions particularly comfy. I felt they lifted the baby too high for me. Maybe I just have a short torso ;) I also found laying down uncomfy, although I did sometime lean back in a reclined position...

I found the first month the hardest, just getting used to it all. And then the next hardest time was when my daughter was about 10 months old and I got a thrush infection - there was no visible sign of it so the doctor misdiagnosed it, but the pain was unbearable and nearly forced me to wean. Thankfully LLL gave me some awesome advice and it was quite easy to get rid of once I followed their advice...

And I love what FutureHKmom said - don't worry about your bub not getting enough, you don't need to measure it. Just make sure your baby is growing and peeing and pooping and if all that is fine, then there's no need to stress :)

Breastfeeding is really so convenient and much cheaper than formula - not to mention the health benefits for the baby :) All the best!!

geomum is offline Registered User
    Breast fed my daughter till she was 16 months old and had to wean her when I go pregnant with our son.
    Tip 1: Travel now because you won't have to worry about feeding your child other stuff.
    Tip 2: Treasure the closeness between you and your baby while you breast feed. Don't be in a hurry to wean, when they grow up to be toddlers, intimacy is the one thing you will miss the most.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast