Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

CIO for napping?

hkmom1 is offline Registered User

CIO for napping?

Hi. We did the cry it out method with my son for night time sleeping and it worked great. he goes to sleep on his own and sleeps through the night. We still struggle with getting him to nap during the day however. He has to be rocked and often times will refuse to be put down and will only sleep while being held. This is getting harder as he's getting bigger and bigger. I wanted to ask, does cry it out work for napping? does anyone have suggestions on how to get baby to nap better?

southside852 is offline Registered User
    absolutely. if your son can do it for his night time sleep, he can surely do it for his afternoon one. make sure all the conditions are the same for when he sleeps as night and during the afternoon. Perhaps do the same routine that you do too. If you read 2 books, then read 2 books before his afternoon one etc...

MilkMonster is offline Registered User
    Yep you can! We did CIO for naps too for both our boys when they were babies. Good luck!

carey is offline Registered User
    We did CIO for night time sleep and naps at the same time. It's the same approach but I heard that don't let your baby cry more than one hour for naps. Our bud never cried that long. It was 20 minutes tops.

Good luck

Smiles is offline Registered User
    We did CIO for our youngest, and luckily it only took about two days before it worked. For her shorter naps I just took her for a walk, and for the longer lunchtime nap we stuck to the process of CIO. Then once lunch sleep was fine, her shorter naps seemed to be sort themselves out as well. Good luck!

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    how old is your son? is he refusing to nap because he doesn't need it or is it because he is too tired? I'd stick with the same routine as in the evening cause it's something he relates to sleeping and that will make the whole process more smooth. with mine if she refuses to nap and I know she needs one then i'd give her 1oz formula (the 2mth old one) to make her more full and feed it to her in the dark, for the 2year old one I let it slide and put her to bed earlier because i don't want going to be bed to be a bad thing...

hkmom1 is offline Registered User
    Thanks for all your advice. He's 11 months and we tried CIO for his naps this weekend. It took a good 30 minutes of crying but he finally tired himself out. We know he's tired because he is rubbing his eyes and yawning and he'll fall asleep if you rock him for 5 minutes but wakes up crying the minute we put him down. Time for some tough love. :(