Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Pumping and directly breastfeeding

Mrs P is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong Island
    Either is good. I do both as I am not intending to go back to full time work. My baby was born premature and was in an incubator for a week. So, like banane76, I pumped and eased my baby to breastfeeding. As she does not manage to empty my breasts, I pump after feeding her to increase milk flow. Now, I have an oversupply in the freezer handy for her growth spurts.

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    If you have problems, for example prematurely or a baby who isn’t feeding correctly then often it is necessary to pump until the baby can feed well. In these cases the pumping protects your milk supply and provides milk for your baby to eat.

If, however, there are no problems with the feeding it is generally suggested that you directly breastfeed for the first four to six weeks. This will allow your baby and your body to get in sync with each other and for you to produce the amount of milk your baby needs.

It is generally quite hard work to pump your milk and not nearly as nice as lounging back in a chair and feeding the baby directly. The first six weeks are not a time to add extra work for your self – it is a time to recover from the birth and bond with the baby.

Best wishes,
    La Leche League Leader

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12