Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pumping and directly breastfeeding

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User

Pumping and directly breastfeeding

For breastfeeding mummies out there - was just wondering, when or did you ever start pumping or did you always just directly feed? With my first child, I breastfed directly for the first two and a half three months and started pumping once a day after that to get a freezer stash ready for me going back to work after four months. But I always had a hard time with the pumping and am wondering if for my second child who will be born soon, if I should just pump and directly breastfeed from the beginning to build up supply. Just wondering how, when and if other breastfeeding mummies out there pumped while they were also directly breastfeeding. Thanks!

hkmom1 is offline Registered User
    I used to pump one side while feeding on the other after I established good supply. I found pumping the easiest while I was feeding because that was when i had the best letdown.

carang is offline Registered User
    i had an "oversupply" of milk with my two kids. I pumped anytime around a feed, sometimes before, sometimes after. Even after a full-on feed, i could still manage 120ml in about 5 minutes of pumping (off ONE breast).

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User
    Thanks for sharing hkmom1 and carang! Did you guys start pumping right from the beginning (i.e. right when you bub was born?) or start pumping after breastfeeding was established (at 4-6 weeks)? I'm just not sure when I should start...would pumping help build supply in beginning? or should i just wait until bf is established?

solidstars is offline Registered User
    i fed directly and when at work he drank from a defrosted supply. i know someone who decided to start directly by pumping/bottle since she wanted to know exactly how muc she was feeding. i think when you give birth, you'll know what you want to do!

pixelelf is offline Registered User
    i had over supply too. pumping made it worse, i had milk shooting all over, and the baby gagged, it wasnt funny. so i fed directly on demand and managed to cope better.

Macaron is offline Registered User
    I was advised to pump after a direct feed at the beginning to help increase my supply. Then I had issues with thrush on my nipples and pain etc so I've had to pump more and direct breastfeed less (long story, I'm still upset over it :( My bub is now 2 months and I am back at work so I try to pump 4-5 times a day now and give him as much as I can. But exclusive pumping decreases your supply so I've still had to take some fenugreek and mother's milk tea to boost it a little.

banane76 is offline Registered User
    I was pumping from the beginning because my baby was in special care for a week but once I got home and got the latch sorted, I decreased the pumping to try to get baby to get my body to produce the right supply for her demand. Eventually, I started pumping twice a day to maintain supply, but tried to exclusively breastfeed all day until the evening feed that my husband could do. It's way easier to breastfeed more than always pumping and then feeding....just less work. I pumped at work when I went back and then would feed her when I could.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast