Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

swollen patch under eye--should I worry?

carey is offline Registered User

swollen patch under eye--should I worry?

My 14 month old has a red and slight swollen patch at the corner of his right eye. It seems to be more swollen after getting up in the morning or a nap but goes down a bit after. This came after he got a bump on the same side of his face. There was only a red bump first and then the next day skin around it because swollen. He might have scratched it during this sleep.

It does not look very nice but it doesn’t seem to bother him. He has no cold, or fever. He doesn’t have red eye. Could it be an allergy?

I thought I would observe it for a day and see if it gets better. It’s the second day now and it is not getting better. Should I worry? Should I take him to the doctor?

Any advice is appreciated.

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User
    If it's red and swollen could it be a little infected (i.e. maybe the skin was broken and he scratched it?)? I wouldn't worry too much about it, but you could bring him to the doctor just to get some antibiotic cream for it so it would heal faster. I don't think it is a big deal.

Or does it just look like he has a black eye (you know, like when someone punches your eye?) My son fell and hit the side of his eye many months ago and got a black eye. He had it for days! But it just slowly went away - but that looked more like a bruise that was a bit swollen.

carey is offline Registered User
    Thank you for your reply. For my peace of mind, we told him to a dermatologist. He thinks is an insect bite and it only needs to apply cold towel onto it to reduce swelling. Thank you again.