Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1 yo already! Time flies. Formula or whole milk? Cup, Sippy or Straw?

Obiwan is offline Registered User

1 yo already! Time flies. Formula or whole milk? Cup, Sippy or Straw?

Yup, she is going to be 1 year old next week. Hooray, we survived the first year :)

May I kindly ask you ladies what's the difference between formula and whole milk? What's the pros and cons? I know most mothers will switch their children from formula to whole milk when the child turns one. Why is that?

With regards to weaning, time to get that started as well. Do you go straight for bottle to cup, or do you transition with sippy or straw cups? She is good with straw cups now but not yet with sippy, and can sip slowly from cups, though making a mess ...

Advice much appreciated!! Cheers.

carang is offline Registered User
    we didn't switch to whole milk ONLY because it is so expensive. we kept our kids on formula until they were 2ish, BUT i had quit breastfeeding at 6 months, so we really had to use formula.

if i was still breastfeeding at 1, i would go straight to whole milk.

we used sippy cups mostly at home, but we did offer regular cups sometimes.

kids have been using regular cups since 2 yrs about 95% of the time.

geomum is offline Registered User
    Entirely depends on what your preference and what your baby likes. We started with cow's milk at one year with a straw bottle. My suggestion however is that if your baby is able to drink with cup (Even if she spills a bit) continue with it, don't start with straw bottle or sippy cup.

southside852 is offline Registered User
    as soon as our son turned 1 years old, we let him try whole milk and we've never been back. Other than perhaps it's more expensive, I am not sure why you would not go right to whole milk or an alternative like soy or rice in case of an allergy. Our reasoning was that the sooner our son was eating food that we would eat (just in smaller size and maybe blander) the easier it would be for us. We thought buying formula was actually quite expensive for us and felt buying Pura or UHT was so much easier for us traveling around.

We didn't transition from bottle to cup until around 16 months. Our son hated the sippy cup hard spouts and much preferred the cups with straws or the doidy cup which is like a real cup just with an angle so they can see the liquid coming towards them. i think we went through 4 or 5 cups until we found one that he liked.

Obiwan is offline Registered User
    Thank you very much!!! She does very well with the straw cup (better with the tiny Combi straw cup than the fatter non-spill bottle). Think I'll try to get her to start drinking her milk in that and see how she does with the volumn. She typically sips water from it vs gulping down 8 ounces of liquid :)

Will introduce whole milk and see if she likes it. How's the nutritional value vis-a-vis formula?

Do you just go plain or chocolate? :)

southside852 is offline Registered User
    We drink Pura whole milk and when we're on the go, we drink Paul's UHT small boxes. I would stick with that rather than introduce other preservatives and more sugar.

carang is offline Registered User
    would NOT introduce chocolate for now, otherwise, you won't get her to drink white milk. besides, she doesn't really need the extra sugar, does she?

we do chocolate milk once in a while as real treat.

neither of my kids is a big milk fan, but they do love cheese and yoghurt, so i don't worry too much about it.

jvn
    jvn is offline Registered User
    Sigh, I'm just switching The Boy's daytime milk to cow's milk (morning and evening are still formula) and although he drinks everything else very well from a cup, straw or sippy cup he just won't drink the cow's milk. He will drink cow's milk from a baby bottle though, not really sure why.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast