Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Baby using my breast as pacifier

Gataloca is offline Registered User

Baby using my breast as pacifier

Usually it would be hard to put my baby to take a nap. I would have to carry and rock him for long time on my arms or on the sling, before he would fall asleep and I would be able to put him down on his bed. Most of the time by the time he hit the bed, he would cry, and I would have to start over again. Sometime when he is in deep sleep, I can put him down on his bed, but as soon as he goes to light sleep again, he would wake up and cry again.

I read that "Many breast-fed babies will settle for nothing less than the breast from the mother while readily accepting the alternative from another care-giver." It seems that the baby can smell the milk, and when they smell the milk, they want the breast. That explain how come it is so hard for me to calm down my baby sometime. I noticed then that when I let my baby suck on my empty breast when he is tired, he would sometime let me lay him down awake on his bed, and would then sleep on his own. If he cries again, I would just let him suck again, and in another 10 minutes, he would doze off and would allow me to put him on his bed.

Anyway, my 6 week old baby has been having his last feed at around 9-10pm, and going to bed at around 10-11pm every night for several weeks already. He would then wake up for a feed at around 2-3am, and would wake up again at around 5-6am. As I would like him to sleep a little bit earlier (and by the way, shouldn't by 6 week be able to go a little bit longer between feeds?), I am trying to give him his last feed one hour earlier (at 8-9pm).

Last night I did feed him at 8pm, and put him to sleep at around 9pm. He woke up at around 1am hungry, and I fed him and he sucked eagerly for around 20 minutes. I put him to sleep, and then he woke up again at 3 am. I fed him again, but this time, we just did some soothing sucks for 10 minutes, and felt asleep. I could see that he didn't drink much, as my breast was still leaking fore-milk when he felt asleep. Put him back to sleep when he finally woke up at 5:30 this morning.

My question is, how to I handle the situation in which he just wake up needing some comfort sucks so to go back to sleep again? He doesn't take pacifier, and like last night, obviously he wasn't hungry at 3am, after he had his feed just 2 hours ago.... and it seems that he has accustomed to the idea of having my breast as pacifier..... did I do wrong letting him suck all the time???

Aava.Wong is offline Registered User
    i'd like to suggest giving him the pacifier when you know that he's not hungry. he'll reject the pacifier few times but when he realises what it is for then he'll take it. everything needs practice at this stage - for both the baby and the parents.

is your pacifier a latex one or silicone? many babies prefer the silicone nipple on the pacifier.

[other mummys against pacifiers - pls dont kill me!]

I have few silicone ones, from Avent. I think I can introduce the pacifier now, as he is 6 weeks old, and I guess I have already established my milk supply... but he would suck it for few seconds and spit it out and cry....

Frenchy is offline Registered User
    It all depends if you are ok with giving your baby a pacifier... I didn't use any with my first son, and don't plan to with my daugther, who is doing the same thing as your baby, using my breast as a pacifier when needed !
    I don't really bother about it, I know it's just a phase and will stop when she'll grow up, in a few weeks or month time.
    My daugther is just 7 weeks and she would sleep something like 4 hours between each feed during the night, last feed being around 10pm.

Frenchy, your last feed is at around 10pm? that means that your daughter sleeps at around 11pm? That is the time I used to put my baby to sleep, but I was afraid that it may be too late.... I know that some people put their baby to sleep at around 6 or 7pm. .... I really don't know why my baby woke up at 3pm since his previous feed was just 2 hours ago...I am guessing that he woke up at that time because he was accustomed to waking up at around 2-3am before?.... or probably he is in a growth spurt, cause he has been feeding like every 2 hours for the last 2 days... although I thought he already got his growth spurt at week 4..... Is he having a growth spurt every 2 weeks??? he got one also at week 2!

Frenchy is offline Registered User
    I don't think you can really put your baby on a schedule in the first months, they can hardly make the difference between day and night. I just feed her an hour before to go to bed myself, and put her to sleep when I'm ready.
    I don't remember exactly, but I think I used to put my son to sleep around 7pm only when he was 6 or 7 months old, as he could sleep for more than 8 hours at a stretch.
    The feedings are not always every 4 hours apart, it depends how much she's been eating every time, or if she decides to stay awake... and also the growth spurts. They grow a lot during the first year (my daugther took 4,5 cm in one month !).
    Don't worry about what others are doing, just do what is the most confortable for you and your son, and what brings the less stress.

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    Dear Gataloca,

I think it would help you to understand how babies sleep. They have a lot more light sleep than adults do and so are much more likely to wake up because of this. Also the normal sleep cycle of a baby is much short than that of an adult.

Most babies around six week old tend to go to sleep for about four hours when they first sleep for the night and then wake up every two hours until they get up for the day.

This means that if you put your baby to sleep for the night at 7:00 pm then he is likely to wake at 11:00 pm, 1:00 am. 3:00 am, 5:00 am etc. Whereas if you put the baby to sleep at 11:00 pm he is likely to wake at 3:00 am, 5:00 am, 7:00 am etc.

It doesn’t really matter to the baby whether he goes to bed at 7:00 pm or at 11:00 pm because he will catch up during the day if he sleeps late. But it makes a huge difference to the mother. And which is best depends on you and how you feel.

Many working mothers who don’t see their babies during the day want to maximize the time with the babies in the evening and so the baby goes to bed late. Whereas many at home mothers want some adult time and so put the babies to bed earlier.

One good aspect of the baby going later is that the four hours of sleep the baby does coincides with your sleep. If the baby goes to bed earlier he can be on the waking every two hours when the mother goes to bed and she misses out on the sleep chunk of four hours – this can make a big difference to how tired you feel the next day.

Slowly as the baby matures he will start getting to the wake up points in the night and blinking and going back to sleep instead of waking up and asking to nurse. But six weeks is very young for this.

Also remember that comfort sucking is very good for the baby – it helps the baby to develop. All babies need to suck a lot and many medical bodies, e.g. AAP, suggest dummies or pacifiers for this reason. But dummies are called dummies because they are a dummy for the real thing. So don’t worry if your baby comfort sucks – it is good for him. It is also good for the mother – it is just about the easiest way to guarantee a good milk supply.

Best wishes,
    SARAH
    La Leche League Leader
    www.lllhk.org

Thanks a lot, Sarah. That explained it a lot! I will adjust his bed time accordingly then!