Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Queen Mary

cbiscaro is offline Registered User

Queen Mary

Does anyone have first hand experience at Queen Mary? We have made a booking as a private patient there and are about to pay the deposit. However i wanted to hear some experiences before we do that.

Thanks for your help Carol

carang is offline Registered User
    there are quite a few of us who have first hand experience of QMH, although, i would say most of us have gone the public route.... so not much experience of it as a private patient. sorry.

Wozza is offline Registered User
    I have also had experience in QMH but in the public system. I think QMH is great but I wouldn't go there as a private patient - there is really no difference in treatment, visiting hours or anything, except EVERYTHING is charged to you at a higher rate. The medical care as a public patient is brilliant, as long as you keep asking questions - if you are not sure about something ASK! And see if you can get your own food bought in - although you can live on what they offer! I had my first child in QMH and was hospitalised several times before her birth for high blood pressure monitoring. In fact, I have just booked with Tsan Yuk to have my second child - due in April 2011 - at the QMH. If you still want to go the private route, make sure you do some thorough research into actual charges and what it includes...you may find you are paying for something you can get virtually for free through the public system. a very good hospital for medical care though, either way. Good luck.

carang is offline Registered User
    wozza, you sound like me. i was hospitalised 13 times over 2 pregnancies. i brought my own food, or had it delivered (soho delivers, pizza hut etc will deliver to the ward door, not to your bed).

hkmom1 is offline Registered User
    I also delivered via public system at QMH and thought everyone was great and professional. With that said, if I were to go private, then may I ask why you wouldn't go to private like a Mathilda? Then you get allllll the benefits of private (open visitation hours, gourmet food etc) and from what I understand, for the same price....

blessed is offline Registered User
    hi ladies... i'm currently registered at QMH as private patient and expecting end of September... so can share more on my total experience later on.

but for now, the major difference (vs being a public patient which I first started with registering via Tsan Yuk) is I get to see the panel doctor each time with more detail discussion (instead being seen by some doctors in training), and the wait is much shorter for each antenatal check.

we asked lots of questions before the switch and here are the main points to note:
    - once you are registered as a private patient, you are charged as a private patient for anything related to "this particular pregnancy", which include any antenatal & postnatal check-up, hospitalization (should there be any complications even before delivery), delivery etc.
    - for delivery room, you will get a private one @ QMH no matter you are with the public system or as a private patient, the only difference is the pre/post-natal wards (8 person per ward in public vs 1 or 2 person per room in private).
    - for visit hours, there is BIG difference between public & private patient (this is one of the main decision factor for us as my husband would like to be around once the baby is born). for public it's currently 6-8pm daily, and for private pretty much is anytime before 8pm each day, and one family member is allow to stay overnight if you are in a private room.
    - there are two level of room types in the private ward (semi-private: 2 beds, or private: 1 bed), you will be guarantee semi-private if you are a private patient, and private is based on availability only.
    - there is no back charge for previous checks done via the public system before switching to a private patient (i was with public until my 20 week scan and glucose tolerance test thereafter which was foc and with no back charge).
    - the back charge which the ladies mentioned earlier is chargeable when, if you decided to stay as a public patient and get all antenatal check ups and tests etc FOC and only switch to the private ward after the delivery (for better visitation time and more privacy with baby & family), they will still charge everything from the time you "check-in" to the hospital for your delivery at private patient rates (yes, that would delivery fee, anesthetic, paedetrician etc which adds up).
    - for a public patient to switch to private room post delivery is on request basis and based on availability of private rooms on your delivery day, first come first serve, and priority is given to private patients and public servants.

one thing which you mentioned above that i am not sure regarding paying the deposit though, do you have an HKID? coz for my case I am just paying after each appointment for now, but understand that we will need to pay the deposit upon checking in on delivery.

hope this helps... let me know if you have any other questions and i'll try my best to answer.

Wozza is offline Registered User
    Good answer blessed. I didn't know that the visiting times were different for a private patient. All the stuff I have seen is the same as public. It is good to know that this is not correct. I am still glad I went public though because with what happened to me being admitted so much and then ending up with an emergency caesar - as a private patient it would have cost me a fortune!!
    Cheers and good luck