Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Ma On Shan area

kip1 is offline Registered User

Ma On Shan area

We currently live in DB but with a baby on the way we are looking at reducing travel time to work (Kowloon Tong). Obviously we like the space, green-ness, and peace of DB. Our budget isn't huge (max.10,000 preferable a little less. I know we can get a decent 2 bedroom in DB for under 10,000). I'm interested in finding out anything around the Ma On Shan/ Shatin area if anyone has any ideas?? Thanks.

carang is offline Registered User
    ma on shan, i don't think would be much faster for you to kowloon tong than from DB...have you checked out the mtr commuting times?

you may want to check out some of the villages close to wu kai sha mtr station. there is also symphony bay and rhapsody (something). they are "mid-rises" and may have clubhouse and facilities that you wouldn't find in the villages.

shatin has the largest population of all the districts in hk. not quite and relaxed by any stretch of the imagination.

i lived in DB for 6+ years and have been living in Sai kung country park for 3+ years. i REALLY, REALLY, REALLY miss DB. Personally, i would think long and hard about the move, especially with young kids. compare the commute times and then decide if you really think it's worth it.

for us, we NEEDED the space of the country park for my husband's business. if there was any way we could afford to stay in DB and still have the business, we would have.

I'd be looking at about halving the travel time from Ma On Shan to Kowloon Tong so it's a pretty big difference. Shatin doesn't really appeal because of the business of the place but ma On Shan/ Wu Kai Sha seem better in terms of that. At this stage we're just thinking but would love to hear from anyone that actually does live out that way to get their views.

i DO live out that way. i just live a bit further. i drive through ma on shan & shatin every day when i go to work.

babydoll is offline Registered User
    Hi, we live in Lake Silver which is brand new and just above the Wu Kai Sha train station. It's pretty convenient in terms of travel by train to Kowloon Tong and there are a few shops such as Wellcome, Mannings, dry cleaners, cafe, chinese restaurant, hair dresser. It will take about 25 mins to travel by train to Kowloon Tong with one changeover at Tai Wai station. The clubhouse here is huge and well catered for children. The ESF Wu Kai Sha kindergarten is just downstairs. We previously lived in Symphony Bay which is close by but you will need a car for travel and there are no shops in its vicinity. Symphony Bay is about 10 years old, more "green", low rise building, and is less densely populated than Lake Silver. Both are good options. You should check them both out and see which one you prefer.

symphony bay is just before you hit the "village" houses/open areas... how's hte welcome in lake silver? the one in sunshine city isn't too bad (nothing for salad, though... NOT ONE THING!), but always extremely busy.

babydoll is offline Registered User
    Symphony Bay consist of Villa Rhapsody and Villa Concerto which are across the road from each other. The Wellcome in LS is not as large as the one in Sunshine City, but it is good enough for the basics. Much less crowded though..maybe because it is a bit out of the way from MOS, mainly serves the LS, Monte Vista & Lee On Estate population, and there is limited parking in LS. There is also a 24 hr McDonald, Park n shop, and a small wet market in Lee On Estate which is next door to LS.

We have also lived in Shatin for many years. The rental in MOS/WKS is more affordable than Shatin, and the surrounding area is a lot greener, eg. Starfish Bay, Whitehead, Garden Farm golf driving range, and of course Sai Kung is only a 15 mins drive away. Not sure how large an apartment for $10,000...a quick check on the real estate websites will give a good idea.

Thanks, will keep it in mind. Hopefully we end up staying in DB. Have to work out the job situation first! Thanks both for your help.