Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

How long should a 7week old sleep during the day?

AgnesForbes is offline Registered User

How long should a 7week old sleep during the day?

Our 7 week old never sleep more than an hour during the day. She fidgets alot and I think most times she woke herself up while fidgeting. On average, I would say she sleeps no more than 4 hours during the day (6am to 4 pm). She also cannot sleep independently. Sometimes I would try to rock her to sleep but 5 min after putting her back in her cot, she would wake up crying. It is really frustrating. I am getting desparate here, trying to get rid of her eye bags as well as mine.
    Is it normal for baby her age to sleep so little during the day?
    Posted via Mobile Device

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    my baby is 8 weeks now and she sleeps about 4-6 hours during the day, she stays up longer now than before cause she is more aware of her surroundings...not a big deal if she is not crying. sometimes when she is crying it is because she is overly exhausted and so i have to wrap her up to reduce her movements...my baby moves and lot and ALWAYS wakes herself up so she needs to be wrapped up...she doesn't like it but it's a must...she will get used to it! Do you have a miracle blanket? if not you can get one at b2b or mother care, they are really really good! Basically anything that keeps her feeling safe will make it easier for her to sleep. I find with mine that when I put her into the cot she needs to be leaning against a pillow or something so she feels like she's still being held, but that doesn't work 100% of the time...

jvn
    jvn is offline Registered User
    I'm no expert but that doesn't sound much for a 7 week old - however, having said that some babies sleep more than others so I'd be looking at other things to see if it is right for her, is she putting on weight, when she's awake is she lively and happy, is she sleeping well at night etc... if she's sleeping well at night what are you doing differently?

Also, have you tried swaddling if she's fidgeting and waking herself up?

Good luck.

prone_to_wander is offline Registered User
    What if you wore her in a sling? 7 weeks is so young and she may just need to be close to you.

Gataloca is offline Registered User
    From 6am to 4pm, my 7 week old also sleep for around 4 hours. Although he can sleep for more than 1 hour in a nap. His sleep cycle is around 45 minutes, so he sometime sleeps for around 45 minutes, 1 1/2 hour, or even 3 hours in a stretch if he is really tired.

My little one can sleep on his own, if he is doze from a feeding, or after I let him suck on my breast to soother himself before putting him to bed. Usually I would then wrap him so to prevent his hands from moving. Otherwise, he would easily wake up.

Sometime when he refuse to sleep, I would carry him in a sling.

AgnesForbes is offline Registered User
    Thanks all for reply. She is always swaddled when in bed or being cranky. I discovered that if I put her down after a feed and she wakes up 5 min later, that means she needed another burp. So I would pick her up and wind her again. The bad side of this is, she would fall asleep immediately after, which means she is sleeping in my arms which means she is not sleeping independently. :o
    Doesn't matter as long as she is well rested.

Btw she found her thumb and is sucking it quite happily. :)
    Posted via Mobile Device