Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Do you go to your GP to do pregancy test or to Gynecologist?

siusiubo is offline Registered User

I just found out I might be pregnant, I really have no clue if I should go to my normal GP for test or find your gynecologist?

banane76 is offline Registered User

You can do both...but your GP will be cheaper though. The OBGYN will just do a scan. You would probably want to see they gynae after 8 weeks.

southside852 is offline Registered User

i went to my OB and did a blood test. Banane76 is right though - GP would be cheaper and I am sure can do a blood test too for you. Blood test will be the most accurate way for you to see if you are pregnant.

siusiubo is offline Registered User

But OB is different from Gynecologist. OB is the doctor that will give you regular check up and delivery the baby for you right? Sorry, newbies and confused.

rani is offline Administrator

If you have done a home pregnancy test which are fairly accurate you don't need to see a dr to do another. Go to your nearest pharmacy and buy some folic acid n take 1 day. You need to see a gyno when you are about 8 weeks
    Posted via Mobile Device

LOJITT is offline Registered User

Wink

Hi there

If you've done a home test and it's positive, you are pregnant- these tests give very very few false positives (although false negatives are not uncommon). If you use a digital test (eg Clearblue) it can also tell how pregnant you are (although note that the test dates from date of conception- your Obs will add 2 weeks to this as they date from date of last missed period, so if clearblue says "2-3 weeks pregnant" your Obs would say you are 4-5 weeks pregnant).

Anyway, all that aside, you dont need to get the pregnancy "confirmed" as such before you go to see your Obs. Just pick an Obs of your choice and make an appointment for when you're about 8 weeks from date of last period. This is a good time for 2 reasons- 1. If you're delivering in a private hospital, you need to reserve your place at 9 wks (your Obs will do this for you) 2. At 8 weeks they will be able to detect a heartbeat so give you an early indication of viability. I actually went at 6 weeks, which was fine- she scanned me and confirmed that I was pregnant, but I could easily have waited a few more weeks and saved myself $1000.

LOJITT is offline Registered User

Just to add, if you dont have an Obs in mind already, there are a lot of threads on here about various ones. The ones that come up quite frequently if you want to search by name are-

Patrick Chan, Joe Chan, Lucy Lord, Grace Cheung, Sally Ferguson, Dr Ghosh......... there are more- hopefully someone with a better memory will be along shortly to add some others.

zyxwv is offline Registered User

Agree on the suggestions to go straight to the OB. If you go private, I would also wait until at least 6-8 weeks (8-10 weeks from conception), so you have a good chance of seeing the heartbeat on the ultrasound. Pretty much all private OBs will do the scan at your first visit. If you go too early you may be able to see the sac but not detect a heartbeat and you would have an agonizing wait for the next apt to find out if there was something wrong or not. In my opinion, better to have the nervous excitement of waiting for the first appt. While you are waiting, you can do another home pregnancy test if you want to reconfirm - but by then you will also have probably skipped a cycle or two anyway.*

I am a Ghosh fan and am expecting #2 with him now (natural delivery for first and planned for 2nd). Another popular OB to add to LOJITT's list is Dr. Doo. I know several people who have been happy with him as well.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Posted via Mobile Device

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast