Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Nursing after a c-section

southside852 is offline Registered User

Nursing after a c-section

I am having a planned c-section on October (major 3rd degree tear with #1 bub) and am wondering how one nurses right after a c-section. Do you have to be lying down in bed on your side to do it b/c of the stitches?

If you nursed after having a c-section, could you please share your experience during the first few weeks while you are also recovering.

Thanks!

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    Right after my c-section, it was nearly impossible to nurse on my side bc of the awful pain. while I was still in the hospital, I just had nurse or hubby hand me the baby and I would sit up in bed to do it. I don't recall having any pain from that position bc my son was just a tiny little thing so he didn't put much pressure on my stomach, and justnwas not long or big enough to reach down there. All the pain comes from moving your body, so inching your way up to sitting position was the only pain. I can't imagine how to do it on my side at that time. It was agony getting to that position and also maintaining it. I slept on my back for weeks.

BabyG is offline Registered User
    I just had my 2nd C-section last week and I am exclusively breastfeeding my son. I started BF right after surgery and during recovery. The best position for me was sitting up and using the football hold with a pillow under the baby. The nurses at Adventist were really good at helping me out during the time I was confined at the hospital. When I felt up to it, I would also make trips to the nursery to pump or feed my little one.

Now that I am home, I use My Brest Friend nursing pillow. It keeps the pressure of my incision and keeps my back straight when BF.

Don't worry about it, when the time comes, you will find what works best for you and your baby. All the best and HTH

southside852 is offline Registered User
    ok, great to know that i don't have to nurse on my side as i tried that with my first and found it so uncomfortable. . . will try the football hold with my bobby pillow. hopefully the lactation consultant can help me again too.

thanks everyone!

maternitynurse is offline Registered User
    I am a breastfeeding consultant and have helped many mothers who have had a c-section, including twins mothers, and mothers who breastfeed their babies in the 'rugby' position, ie under the arm are very successful. The nice thing about this position is that the baby feels very cosy and secure and you will see his facial expressions easily which is such fun for you. Enjoy!