Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Breastfeeding Question - Milk blister??!

Lisainhk is offline Registered User

Breastfeeding Question - Milk blister??!

I have just discovered the source of this horrible pain I've been experience while breastfeeding my 1 year old. It seems to be an underground blister on the nipple kind of like a pimple I guess. It appears white when squeezed and is really painful! Of course it's on the side that my son prefers too. Any idea on what it is and how to get rid of it???? He won't take bottles or formula either so really dreading feeding times.

prone_to_wander is offline Registered User
    I found this information for you: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/nipplebleb.html
    Kelly mom is my go-to website for all my nursing questions.

Hope it clears up soon.

Gataloca is offline Registered User
    I just had one yesterday. Mine actually didn't hurt much, but blocked the milk flow.

At first I noticed that the baby wasn't getting full with my breast, then noticed that there was a mass on it. I thought that had a blocked duct, but warm compress and massage didn't help. Then I saw the blister on my nipple. I searched on the web and followed the instructions on kellymom (Applying heat, rubbing the blister with a wet cloth, putting the baby to suck) and didn't work. At the end, I saw a little something in the middle of the blister and just pulled it out with my finger. The milk started flowing and after my baby sucked for few minutes, the hard mass was gone!... Probably you can try that!
    Posted via Mobile Device

Honkyblues is offline Registered User
    In the past, I've done the following: had a hot shower for a long time to soften the blister, then gently and carefully used a syringe (obviously without the needle) to suction the milk blister. It pops out - pain-free - and the problem's solved.

Lisainhk is offline Registered User
    Thanks everyone. It appears to be a plugged pore or duct rather than a blister. Milk won't express, just get a few drops even though it's rock hard and is way to painful to feed off. Arghh!