Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Abdominal cramps

Sazzy is offline Registered User

Abdominal cramps

Hi

I gave birth last week and I'm getting severe abdominal cramps. Anyone else have these? They really hurt and I am strugglng to get around.

Is there any light at the end of the tunnel?

bagel is offline Registered User
    Hi Sazzy,

Congrats on the birth. You may not remember me from 2005-06 but we had met through geoexpat once, I believe. You were going to leave HK shortly perhaps for Singapore, I can't recall precisely now. Well, guess what? I am back in HK too with 20 month old toddler and hubby.

Regarding your question, I don't recall having abdominal cramps. I experienced severe discomfort for many weeks as I had an emergency C-section and the abdominal area is incapacitated from that but I don't recall cramping. It gets better, one week is too early for the physical aches and pains to be a distant memory.

TheQuasimother is offline Registered User
    Sazzy

I got 5 days worth of Voltaren to cope with it. So i presume it'd go away. I didn't use them so i do feel a dull ache.

If u can't cope with it, try panadol. If it still aches after, u need to see a doctor.

Cheers!
    QM
    “If you want to get to the castle, you’ve got to swim the moat.” Richard Jenkins in Eat Pray Love

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    I found it was worse after #2 compared with after #1... and even worse while pumping!! I took panadol a couple of times, but it was really only maybe the first week or two that were that bad...

aussie mum is offline Registered User
    much worse with #2 than #1 - i hardly felt any cramps first time around. for #3 i was in agony - especially when bf'ing. I took voltaren for over a week I think. If it keeps up for too much longer definitely see your dr.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    it's your uterus contracting back to it's original size(or trying to). and during Bfing it often starts the contractions. I've been recommended before to do some belly massage to try to stimulate it itself. I ended up with a c-section so was in terrible pain anyway. if you also had one, you might also be experiencing some leftover gas pains. I would contact your doctor if its really that uncomfortable.

Honkyblues is offline Registered User
    I agree with Aussie mum - for me this was the third baby, and the cramping while breastfeeding was extremely painful for at least a week - maybe a bit longer. Voltaren was my friend. I found myself breathing through the pains as though I was in labour again.

As it's your second baby, you're probably experiencing after-birth pains - but if they continue, or if they're not related to breastfeeding (surge of oxytocin causing uterine contractions), then you should contact your doctor. There may be retained placenta.

Congrats on the new arrival, btw.

Sazzy is offline Registered User
    Hey - thanks everyone. I now have Voltaren and all is good