Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

A question for anyone who is or has been pregnant

mariac is offline Registered User

A question for anyone who is or has been pregnant

Hello, I am ten weeks pregnant and still going through morning sickness. The vomiting has eased a bit but the nausea and fatigue are still going strong. I don't feel like doing much at all but I worry that if I rest too much that's not good either. I am not working at the moment and this leaves me with a lot of free time. I also find that my concentration is off and I can't read or write for long periods of time (I'm a writer). Has anyone been in a similar situation? If so, did you find that you had to push yourself to do the simplest things like doing dishes or making a meal? I try to go out for walks but it's so hot outside that I get dizzy! Anyway, any advice will be appreciated or just knowing that others have gone through similar scenarios may help. I am ecstatic to be pregnant but want to be more functional!

BabyG is offline Registered User
    I felt the same way! When I was pregnant I would stay on the sofa all day and watch tv. I was sooo lazy! I also had pregnancy brain where I forgot everything. Hopefully the morning sickness will get better or disappear by the 2nd trimester. Take care and get as much rest as you need.

TheQuasimother is offline Registered User
    Hi Mariac

During my first pregnancy, I was not working which was a good thing as I was living like a cat! I was awake for just 6-8 hours. I spent most of the entire 9 months sleeping! It was only in the last trimester that it got better.

I was also throwing up everything i ate. So that was probably the reason behind being tired all the time.

I hope you feel better soon. The bundle at the end is worth whatever we have to go through :-)

Cheers!
    QM
    “If you want to get to the castle, you’ve got to swim the moat.” Richard Jenkins in Eat Pray Love

Thanks BabyG and QM! I'm relatively new in HK and don't have too many friends yet so the additional disfunctionality is making me feel very isolated. Sometimes I get terrible heartburn and acidity to top off the nausea and fatigue. I put out a post to see if there are other April moms-to-be out there but I know it's early and most people aren't ready to share yet. Either way, I am reassured to hear that I'm not the only who's going nuts watching TV on the couch and then running to the toilet! I hear women talk about pregnancy like it's a breeze and I hope to reach that stage at some point...

AmyH is offline Registered User
    On my first pregnancy the nausea started at 13 weeks and was pretty bad (I ended up being hospitalised a few times). My second pregnancy the nausea started at 8 weeks and I felt better about 14 weeks.
    I was new to hong kong when I found out I was pregnant the second time and had not really adusted to being here at that stage so didnt really go out for a few weeks because the "local" smells made me throw up a lot. I spent about two weeks just going from the couch to my bed to the bathroom and it was pretty bad. I think it is worse when you feel really sick but cannot throw up. I had about two weeks of the nausea but no vomiting and that was the worst two weeks. Once I mastered the vomiting it was much better because I could kind of control it. I would start to feel nauseous and just go to the bathroom to throw up and would instantly feel better (for about half an hour!)
    Hopefully it will get better for you soon. Good luck with your pregnancy,

KeHK is offline Registered User
    Hi Mariac

I found out I was pregnant 1 week after we moved to Hong Kong. I'm not working either and back then, the only people I knew were all working full time. In addition, I felt nauseous a lot, was all by myself all day long and had absolutely no motivation to do anything or go anywhere, plus I wasn't ready to share the news with anyone until I had reached 12 weeks, so I didn't have anybody to talk about it. Hence, I was in a very similar situation as you are right now and I can totally understand how you're feeling. I know it's a difficult time, but the good news is it will all get better soon.
    I joined a due-date group when I was around 12 weeks and we've been meeting up once a week since then. In addition, I joined an ante-natal yoga and pilates class. The nausea went away when I was about 15-16 weeks and my motivation came back all of a sudden. I'm now 32 weeks and I'm feeling absolutely great, have made some great (pregnant) friends, spent a lot of time doing research on baby stuff on the internet and can hardly wait for the arrival of my baby.

I wish you all the best for your pregnancy and just hang in there. I'm sure you will feel better in a couple of weeks.

Take care!

Violet A is offline Registered User
    Hi Mariac

I am just over 9 weeks pregnant and have been in HK for almost 3 months - and not working either - but this is my second pregnancy and my daughter is 14 months old.

I can definitely relate to you with regards to morning sickness though! I have been really sick around 7 weeks mark with vomiting, nausea and dizzy spells. I am a bit better now - I found sipping lemon tea and eating lots of lemon lollies really help the nausea. Also don't forget to try the ginger biscuits! If I didn't have to look after my daughter, I probably would have ended up sleeping most of the day reading trash magazines and books.. so it's normal I'd say what you are doing :)

Thank you AmyH, KeHK and Violet A! I am reassured by your comments.

KeHK- Congratulations on getting to 32 weeks. You're almost there! It seems like you went through exactly what I'm going through. It was an isolating time, wasn't it? I haven't told anyone yet either. I'm already a member of Pure Yoga (used to go there a lot before pregnancy) so I intend to start prenatal classes there after 14 weeks. Would you say that's a good time to start? Also, where do you go for pilates? Who's your doctor if you don't mind me asking? I'm still in the choosing process.

Violet A - thanks for joining the April moms-to-be thread. I've responded to you there. Forgot to ask though - where do you get these ginger biscuits? Any specific brand? Since we are in the same stage of pregnancy, I'm hoping we can continue our exchange.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast