Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Breast Pump advice

parents2b is offline Registered User

Question Breast Pump advice

Hello Everyone,

I am mother to be of our first baby in Dec and had some questions on breast pumps as I need to go back to work after the 10 week maternity leave

1] What are the benefits of en electrical versus manual breastpump?

2] What are the benefits of single versus double breast pumps?

3] Does one need to use the bottles from the same compamy as the breastpump manafacturer

4] What brands of breastpumps and feeding bottles do you recommend.

Sorry for there being so many questions - appreciate your advice on the matter

Thanks

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    I think that if you really want to be dedicated in pumping long-term, you should get a double electric. It's possible with a single but will take twice as long. I have a friend who has exclusively pumped for 14 months though with a Medela Harmony manual breastpump though so it's not "necessary" to have an electric at all, but a good double electric will make your life easier!!

You don't NEED the same bottles - but if you don't get the same bottles, you'll need to do more transferring. Think about what you want to use to store the milk as well...

I'm currently exclusively pumping for my 5 week old daughter - she is in NICU and will likely be there for another month or two. I pump with a Medela Pump in Style, which is GREAT but heavy if you want to be carrying it back and forth from work every day, then I transfer to the Avent Via cups for freezing and storage (I probably would have done breastmilk storage bags but NICU doesn't accept them. I think that the Via cups are GREAT for storage though and probably cheaper in the long term as well). I don't use bottles at all because my daughter's being fed through a feeding tube, but if/when she can take a bottle (she has a cleft palate along with breathing difficulties that are likely to make feeding difficult), I'm just going to get whatever is best for her, it might be a third brand altogether ;)

From my reading and from talking to others, Medela seems to be the way to go for breastpumps. Even their manual pump is pretty good. I have that and find it great. I use that sometimes when I'm out and about since it's light and easy to carry.

All the best!!

joso is offline Registered User
    i'm also a new mother for 2 months. I used Meleda Mini Electric at the beginning, and found tat took a long time to pump like 40-60ml in 15-20mins, it hurt my nipples after every pump. Then, I have switched to Avent manual pump, it's very efficient like pump out 60-80ml in 10-15mins, and the most important is, it helps to drain my breast completely, that provides a signal to my brain to produce more milk next time. I have been using Avent manual pump for 1 month, and I can pump out 150-220ml in 20-30mins.

It's not necessary to use bottles and pump from the same manufacturer. I'm now using Avent pump and ChuChu bottle. No complaint so far. Hope these information could help.

TheQuasimother is offline Registered User
    I'm using the Avent electric pump and it's really much better than the commercial version of the Medela - not the hospital version.
    “If you want to get to the castle, you’ve got to swim the moat.” Richard Jenkins in Eat Pray Love

southside852 is offline Registered User
    I use Ameda's double electric pump (hospital version). Electric is so much faster than having to sit there and pump yourself. I used Ameda for my first, but used Born Free bottles. it doesn't matter which bottles you use as you can always just put the milk into any container you want. Brands of bottles are totally personal preference. I get the ones that are BPA free: Born Free, Dr. Brown's and Tomee Tippee.

jvn
    jvn is offline Registered User
    You can hire a medela hospital grade one and see if you get on with it before committing as they are expensive and it's obviously a personal thing which you will get on with, you can get them from Celki in Causeway Bay.

I used a hired Medela and got a Medela Swing for travel both of which I thought were really good - I'd recommend using the same bottles as the machine you end up with just because it's an unnecessary extra step to transfer the milk to another bottle and give yourself two lots of stuff to sterilize.

I'd agree with Nicole, if you're planning to pump long term, definitely double electric.

parents2b is offline Registered User

Red face Thank You

Thank You all for sharing our thoughts with me - its been really helpful and I feel I can now make up my mind - thanks a bunch

maternitynurse is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by southside852 View Post
    I use Ameda's double electric pump (hospital version). Electric is so much faster than having to sit there and pump yourself. I used Ameda for my first, but used Born Free bottles. it doesn't matter which bottles you use as you can always just put the milk into any container you want. Brands of bottles are totally personal preference. I get the ones that are BPA free: Born Free, Dr. Brown's and Tomee Tippee.
    I am a breastfeeding consultant and recommend Ameda to my clients as it is very fast. However, since being in Hong Kong I have not found this pump and I hope you don't mind me asking if you actually bought it or did you rent it? If bought, please could you tell me where you bought it? Thanks
    Professional Maternity Nurse, Breastfeeding & Sleep Consultant, Multiples & PND Carer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast