Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Cough/cold medication you can take when pregnant

Liquorice is offline Registered User

Cough/cold medication you can take when pregnant

Hi, I'm coming down with a cold or chest infection. From what I have read, I can't really take any over-the-counter medication for this. Recommendations are just to exercise, eat a balanced diet, plenty of fruit and vegetables and take vitamin supplements - all of which I do already.

Has anybody got any tips on things you can safely use to alleviate sore throat, congestion and coughing?

AmyH is offline Registered User
    Vicks Vapour rub is quite effective for blocked nose etc. Instead of rubbing it on to your skin, put a spoon full into boiling water, place your head above the bowl and inhale the steam for about three or four mnutes. It really clears out your nose and should also help with the cough. For the sore throat I would recommend warm water with honey and lemon.

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User
    I second the warm water with honey and lemon. And get lots of REST!!! If you work take a few days off from work and just lie in bed. Through both my pregnancies I got colds and got through it by drinking lots of water and warm water with honey and lemon, taking some extra vitamin C and resting lots! You will get better without medication - it just may take a little longer.

Liquorice is offline Registered User
    Thanks. Rest is good. I shall do that. Plus the honey and lemon. AmyH, is Vicks unsafe to rub on your skin then? I recall somebody somewhere saying that Tigerbalm isn't safe which is similar to Vicks - though not sure how true this is.