Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Go Back to home country for birth

AmyH is offline Registered User

regarding the passport - I think it depends on which country's passport you are getting. I got one for my daughter and it took 4 days once we filled in the forms, It was a UK passport and we just went to the consulate on the Monday afternoon and my husband picked up the passport on the friday. I think it took around three weeks before we registered her and got her birth cert so you should be OK there but just be aware that I had some issues when taking her out fo the country as I did not have time to get her the immigration sticker - they were not going to let me leave but in the end were OK with it and she re-entered HK on a visitor stamp so when I returned to hong kong we had to make a trip to Macau to validate her visa.

carang is offline Registered User

we were a bit rushed because my grandma was not doing very well. we actually hadn't even decided on a name the day we went in to register her birth! we made that decision in the office (it was either going tto be X Y, or Y X, we just hadn't figured out the order).

the registration in hk is VERY fast and efficient. for the canadian passport, it normally takes 15 working days~ 3 weeks~, but they can speed it up if you are needing to travel. i produced our tickets and we ended up getting the passport in 6 working days.

she didn't need a visa as she has ROA, but we DID need the birth certificate to travel for entry back into hk or else she gets a visitor visa in her passport, and we don't want that!

for the vaccinations, if memory serves, she had the doses at 1 month and then when we came back. it really wasn't a big deal.

all-in-all it was a little stressful, but honestly it was still relatively painless.
    1) get birth cert ~ then apply for visa if needed
    2) book tickets
    3) apply passport ASAP, providing tickets as proof of travel to speed up the process

charade is offline Registered User

Thanks Amy and Cara. This is an Indian passport which the website says takes 10 days (I hope!). I wrote to HK immigration and they said that I should get the passport and then go to immigration and transfer some visa sticker from the birth registration on to the passport which should take one day (the transfer endorsement not the birth registration). Anyway, looks like people have done it with the vaccines too so will keep my fingers crossed that things go smoothly.

carang is offline Registered User

make sure you find out if it is "10 days" or "10 working days".... a bit of a difference.

mavislohsp is offline Registered User

hi ladies, thank you so much for the info on going back to home country, thanks!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123