Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Random people touching my little one (rant)

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by AmyH View Post
    HC as you have pointed out, it is the norm in Hong Kong so we have tried to adjust to this as we live here and expect it to happen but it certainly is not the norm in the UK or Ireland for a stranger to just come up and start taking pics of your children and I personally have never ever felt the need to take pictures of other people's children.
    Fair enough, its certainly not the norm in the UK, but calling the police (as you mentioned in a previous post)? Isnt that a bit extreme? What harm does/did the photographer do?
    If it was me, I'd just smile and move on. Most likely the photograph taker is a tourist who doesnt know that taking pictures in the UK is a sensetive thing.

Quote Originally Posted by AmyH View Post
    When he is with us, we have no issues with him talking to strangers but when he is alone he is not allowed to.
    Hmmm; so what do you tell your 6yo about getting lost and getting help? If he is not allowed to talk to strangers without your presence, how will he get help?

We started telling our kids from about 4 years old that if we get seperated or they get lost, try to stay in the same area and dont go off too far. Find the nearest person and ask politely to use their cell phone to call us so we can come and find them.

HC

AmyH is offline Registered User
    There is a big difference between him approaching an adult for help if he is lost, and a stranger approaching him when he is out with his friends alone (this happens in Ireland as my parents live in the countryside so they play in the field in the back of the house).

He is fully aware of what to do if he gets lost and it is very similar to what you have said. He is told to just stay where he is, speak to a grown up and he has memorised my mobile number since he was 4 so can contact us.

PS you are right - the calling of the police is a bit extreme and has never been done!

When I say (this happens in Ireland.....) I don't mean that strangers approach him! I mean he goes out alone!

jvn
    jvn is offline Registered User
    I have mixed feelings about this, I absolutely think there's no point in getting wound up about the usual occurrences of this sort of thing as every excursion out of the house would be annoying, it's nicely meant for the most part, and even the occasional unwanted advice can easily be ignored. But yes, some people any country are odd and can make you feel uncomfortable, I personally don't want to be unkind as they probably can't help it but at the same time there is a protective instinct that cuts in when they're overly interested in your baby.

Having said that, The Boy was reaching fingers-in-the-mouth stage around the height of swine flu and I did feel the need to wipe the bits that strangers had touched back then. Now he's happy to eat shoes every time my back is turned so I'm pretty sure nothing a stranger has got can be any worse!

AmyH - :-) I was wondering what you were saying about the people in rural Ireland!

JVN Ha ha, I know and when I re-read my post I was thinking the same! It is another world there where everybody in the area knows everybody and there is always somebody watching out for the kids when they are out alone so I feel comfortable letting him out but when we lived in Liverpool he was not allowed out the front door as we lived on an estate where there were lots of cars, little boy racers and teens with big dogs hanging on street corners so he really didn't speak to strangers there at all as neither did I!

In HK I am trying to give him some more freedom but it is very hard bacause I still see him as a little baby sometimes!

geomum is offline Registered User
    Howard you are right in many respects, but would like your comment on this incident. Our friend's daughter was 2 years old when she got lost in Ocean Park, they've always taught her to be friendly and confident. So after searching heaven and earth they found her sitting with a family having food. She wasn't looking for her parents even after hours of being lost, but the parents of course were worried sick.
    The issue being talked about here is of hygiene as well not just kidnapping or abuse. When my daughter was less than a year old I used to take her to the wet market on some mornings and people with filthy hands would try to touch her. Even now when I take my son out people touch him and I smile to them politely and say Please don't touch.

carang is offline Registered User
    hygeine? carry wet wipes, problem solved. i really don't see the big deal....

ps> i've taught my kids that it is OK to say, "DON'T TOUCH ME!"or "LET GO OF ME!" if they feel that they are being encroached upon.

geomum is offline Registered User
    Why let someone touch my child in the first place if I don't approve of it? People who touch babies with dirty hands are ignorant and selfish. Your approach is right Cara and I will try it with my kids when they are little older.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast