Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Urgent! Where to go for breast problem?

Gataloca is offline Registered User

Urgent! Where to go for breast problem?

I had a milk blister 2 weeks ago, which later popped up allowing the milk to flow. No problem since then.

Just woke up this morning with the same breast painfully engorged. I have put warm compression and massaged it while putting my baby to suck and is not working. The blister is still there but milk seems to flow from that pore, so I guess it is fine. I took 2 panadol already, and put cold compression to ease the pain, but that made me shiver.

I guess I need to go to the doctor, but to which? Pediatrician? Gynecologist? GP?

I know that the Goverment family health center have help for breastfeeding moms, but I am afraid they cannot see me today!
    Posted via Mobile Device

carang is offline Registered User
    i would call a gynae. or a lactation consultant.

jvn
    jvn is offline Registered User
    Not to diagnose over the internet but it sounds a bit like mastitis - horribly painful and shivery. I went to a GP the first time I had it and she prescribed antibiotics, the second time I was in Thailand and just went and got them over the counter but definitely see someone first to check what is wrong.

Good luck, it's horrible.

seattleite is offline Registered User
    I second that- Sounds like mastitis, but you should have a doctor check it out. When I had it, I saw my ob/gyn and she prescribed antibiotics. If it is just a severely plugged duct you may not need antibiotics but it's hard to self-diagnose. In addition to the medication I found that frequent nursing and massaging the breast in a warm shower can make you feel more comfortable. Once the fever breaks it gets better. Feel better soon.

Thanks. I think it is mastitis also. I had that before on the opposite breast and could squeeze the milk out and later got cleared by itself. But this time it is too painful. I cannot even raise my hand and the milk seems to have stop flowing completely. Putting the baby to suck hurt like hell.

I hope the gynae can see me today... I haven't seen lactation consultant here...
    Posted via Mobile Device

Sazzy is offline Registered User
    A GP should be able to help. Where do you live? The Adventist Hospital has an outpatient service which is very good. You can just turn up and wait or call their appointments line. There is a gynae who works there called Stephanie Chow.

I live in TKO. There is polyclinic from Union Hospital close. I could make an appointment but I am more inclined to go to the public family health care center. There they have nurses that would help you get the baby latch to reduce the engortment and other problems. At a private clinic they may just send you home with antibiotics.
    Posted via Mobile Device

PTmum is offline Registered User
    Your GP will be able to help you, keep on feeding, warm compressing and massaging the blockage out until you can see your doc