Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What's cheaper in the States?

Liquorice is offline Registered User

What's cheaper in the States?

I'm due in November and my husband is in New York this week. We're thinking of using it as an opportunity to buy things for the arrival that are much cheaper in the States than in HK.

We're getting a stroller as they seem much cheaper than over here. Is there anything else that people would recommend getting that would definitely be cheaper in the US? Any thoughts welcome.

carang is offline Registered User
    strollers, playgyms (like the bouncy chair that has the toys attached), toys are often cheaper....

Gataloca is offline Registered User
    Bottles, pumps, breast pads, breast milk bags, lanolin cream, baby monitor, baby carrier, sling, ..... Mostly everything...
    Posted via Mobile Device

baffelly is offline Registered User
    Pretty much everything! Careful voltage is not the same for electric stuff like pumps and monitor. Perhaps American DVD for kids if you want, most of the ones in hk are British.
    Posted via Mobile Device

geomum is offline Registered User
    Everything is cheaper in states. Buy clothes LOTS of them, for next year as well.

Portia is offline Registered User
    It's not even that it's cheaper, but there are different items and brands that are not available here. I had my DH lug home a car seat from the US that is not available here.

Liquorice is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by baffelly View Post
    Careful voltage is not the same for electric stuff like pumps and monitor.Posted via Mobile Device
    Of course, useful to know. Had forgotten about that...

tenten is offline Registered User
    We did a similar trip in NY in June - stocked up on
    - Organic items - cute onesies, crib sheets, receiving blankets, swaddling cloths, mattress protectors, bath towels, breast pads, baby rattles/teething bits. Much better selection of organic items and a tad cheaper. Think I went a tad overboard in this dept!
    - Medela breast pump & accessories
    - Baby monitor
    - IQ Air Purifiers - we got the multi-gas one which is abt half the price of HK so worth getting it in the US. but it's massive so quite a pain to lug back
    But as Baffelly pointed out, voltage is different here so affects all electronics. We have transformers in the house so not a big issue.
    - Books

Buybuybaby.com, giggle.com and diapers.com all do fast and free delivery with a negligible min spend - you can always order online, get it shipped to your husband in NY. That way, you'll save him the (bewildering) task of picking the items up!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast