Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

introducing lumpy food

moomoo is offline Registered User

introducing lumpy food

hi, i hv been giving my 9 month old baby food cut into small bits n pieces rather than pureed form. he doesn't seem to hv a problem swallowing it although he does get lazy chewing it. the food bits goes undigested and gets passed out in his poop. is this a problem in terms of digestion? any thoughts appreciated. thanks!

southside852 is offline Registered User
    my son was like that too and we had no problems. don't worry, they learn to chew.

jvn
    jvn is offline Registered User
    It's perfectly normal and partly due to his digestive system still maturing and learning to process solid food - he will still be getting most of his nutrition from the milk that you give him until this happens at around age one. Also, partly due to the fact he has no molars which grind the food down.

moomoo is offline Registered User
    thanks! thought i was maybe rushing the solids abit and perhaps to slow things down. glad to know others hv had the same experience.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    I still fiNd raisins and small things in my 20month olds diapers sometimes. I thInk it's normal for your son and it's really good that you are introducing these foods to him now too-he can get used to real food earlier.

miao is offline Registered User
    every child is different. some learn to chew food quite naturally and swallow lumpier food quite easily. my son, unforetunately, was totally different when he's younger. he didn't like to chew food (actually didn't know how to chew for a long time despite of my repeated teaching and showing). also he had a super sensitive throat and super shallow tummy so he would throw up a fit if he felt the least lump in the food he swallowed. therefore i was stuck with either continuing to give him pureed food beyond 1 year or watching him keep the non-pureed food in him mouth forever without chewing or swallowing it. i made up my mind to move things forward and only offered him non-pureed food for several meals in a row; he would not eat at the beginning. when he got really hungry he would eat it, swallowing without chewing, then threw up when he's not even half full.

the exercise together with all the vomiting must not be fun for him, but that's the only way to get him used to real food. anyway, he's been making slow progress and now at 2.5yo his meal still need be cooked separately to make it softer than ours. but at least i don't need to blend his food any more and don't need to bring jar food when eating out.