Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Toddler and TV

piper is offline Registered User

Toddler and TV

My 16-month old has become very interested in TV. I now have him watch 15mins x3 a day (baby TV). Morning, after lunch and before bed. My husband says that too much.

I need some advise and thoughts:

At what age did you introduce TV to your child and how many minutes would he/she watch.

THanks for your help.

southside852 is offline Registered User
    i think that;'s fine. the fact is - we watched tv growing up and i would say we turned out totally fine!

we started our son on tv at around 18 months before our first trip back to the states as we wanted him to get used to his dvd player on the long flight back. he basically watched a half hour in the morning and a half hour a night of cbeebies - no harm done. he's 2.5 yrs old now and loves tv! he's actually learned a lot of vocab through it as well. He loves Hi-5, blue's clues and Nick Jr. programs. I would say he watches about 1.5 hours a day which gives me time to have a breather.

carang is offline Registered User
    Sai Kung
    i ALWAYS have the tv on. i grew up with it on and it remains on. both of my kids are used to having it on, although they can go long stretches without it. my kids don't turn into vegetables in front of it, though. if they did, i'd be turning it off a lot more. my kids keep playing and running around. they only stop to watch for a few minutes at a time. they watch a lot of disney playhouse, which is great. it plays mostly learning shows and my kids have learned a lot of stuff from them. my son learned a lot of phonics from watching WORD WORLD. of course, i've emphasised it at home as well, but he's really figured out how it all works with little input from me. he now can sound out hundreds of words and put them all together to know what they say.

i think your husband is over reacting a little. i also think he's not had to entertain a toddler for more than a few hours at a time on his own and may not understand your need for a bit of a break...

tv is a very personal decision and no one is right or wrong. it's all a very subjective thing and we each make decisions to suit our own needs.

good luck!

AmyH is offline Registered User
    Gold Coast
    I agree with Cara. Our TV is on quite a lot and my son's favourite prgramme i also Word World. My daughter is 12 months old and she sometimes watches it but is more interested in pulling her brother's hair and taking his toys!

baffelly is offline Registered User
    Our 20 mth old doesn't watch real tv much as it's in a room he usually won't go. But he has been watching teletubby on computer since a few month ago and now onto Elmo. We also play computer games with him. Prob twice a day for 30 min. I think he learn words and other knowledge from the program, and he really has fun with the games. Oh, he also watch YouTube or seasame St on my iPhone at most meals so that's way more tv time than your kid.
    Posted via Mobile Device