Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

no bowel movements in 3 days

OlympianCity is offline Registered User

no bowel movements in 3 days

Should i be concern if my 8-week-old newborn has not had bowel movement in 3 days (today entering 4th day) ? I breastfeed him exclusively

thank you!

Gataloca is offline Registered User
    My baby (10 week old now) also started having bowel movement every 2 or 3 days since he was 8 weeks old. I think this is normal. As his digestive system mature, he can better absorb the nutrient from the milk. And breast milk is easier to digest than formula and produce less waste.
    Posted via Mobile Device

OlympianCity is offline Registered User
    THanks! So, as long as the poops are still runny and seedy... he is not constipated, right?

Gataloca is offline Registered User
    I think so. My baby stools are mostly creamy.

The good thing about pooping every few days is the number of diapers it can saves! Another good thing about breastfeeding :-)
    Posted via Mobile Device

sharrie_t is offline Registered User
    My baby once went without no.2 for 12 days! She needed 2 days to clear her bowel afterwards. She does no. 2 every 2-3 days as well. I sometimes top her up with formula after breast feeding. Gataloca is right about breast milk producing less waste. I've asked a nurse about it.

BLWC is offline Registered User
    This is completely normal, every baby has a different poop cycle. As long as it's not dry and hard he's fine. If he seems uncomfortable at all talk to your doctor.

TNT
    TNT is offline Banned
    Exclusively breasfed babies definitely can poo less frequently and even up to 3 weeks without a poo is considered normal(!) so you absolutely have nothing to worry about. Sometimes a period with no or few poos will be followed by more frequent ones, but not always. It is v v difficult for an exclusively breastfed baby to be constipated any as your babies poo is still normal, definitely nothing to be concerned about.

seattleite is offline Registered User
    Yes, my son once went 24 days without a poop. It was insane! He pooped so infrequently that I started charting it on the calendar so I could keep accurate count. He was breastfed exclusively. The pediatrician even thought 24 days was long, and told me that he might be prone to constipation when he started solid foods (even though when he did poop, it was soft). However, once he started solid foods his BMs have been daily and regular. No problems at all.

I researched a lot at the time, because I thought it was so strange, and learned that breastmilk can be 100% percent absorbed by the body. It's just that most babies' immature digestive system has them expelling what they eat (even if it's exclusively breastmilk), but in some babies their digestive system can take it all in, and boy do they take it all in, haha, in the sense that they make no waste.