Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

advice please, not drinking milk

stamcel is offline Registered User

advice please, not drinking milk

I am looking for some advice. I have a healthy one year old son, he eats 3 meals at day with 3 breast feeds a day (6am, 6:30pm and 10:00pm) and has EB milk bottle at noon. He has been recently only drinking about 50-100ml of the 200ml EB milk....I leave him. I work full time and can not come home for that feed. Should I give up this feed? I am pumping at work....so if I do give up this feed I will no longer need to pump..but will I keep up my supply?

How will I know if he is getting enough milk? calcium? He is allergic to cow's milk, so I can not leave that for him. He will drink rice and soy milk though.

I guess I could put EB milk in a sippy cup for him.

just getting a bit worried....
    thank you,
    stamcel

jvn
    jvn is offline Registered User
    To me a one year old with 3 bf a day plus solids sounds very well nourished. If he's healthy as you say then I can't see any problem. He's gradually working on getting more nutrition from his solids, maybe he just needs less at lunchtime so maybe offer him a smaller feed or cut it out if that is what he wants? I'm sure your supply will gradually reduce along with his needs.

Sounds like he's doing really well :-)

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User
    After 1 year old, I was told I could cut down from 3 milks a day to 2 milks. If you child is eating well 3 solid meals a day, I don't think it should be a problem to cut out the lunch time milk now and in the next 6 months also cut down the 6:30PM milk feed. Even if you cut out the pumping, your milk supply should regulate to be enough for the three feeds you feed a day. Good luck!

hkmom1 is offline Registered User
    My one year old son just does 2 milk feeds a day. I think it's less about how often, but how much he's getting in total milk consumption a day. I think they recommend minimum of 12 ounces a day.

OX Jess is offline Registered User
    Since my son has turned one he rejected milk completely (he was fed on formula)! I was very worried and then I am told that many babies are just like this. Only about 2 months ago (my son is 16 months now) have I introducted fresh milk to him and he seems to love it more and more, however, he still wouldn't take more 200ml at one time. Now he has one bottle of about 160~180ml fresh milk every morning and one of 150ml either in the afternoon or before bedtime (if he eats big dinner I won't give him anything else before sleep). As he is feeding pretty well on 3 soild meals I am not worrying about his nutrition intake. To make sure he has enough calcium and so and so I give him cheese & yoghurt, which he LOVES!!!! Is your baby putting on weight on scale? Is he happy and energetic? Sleeps well? Regular bowel movement? If YES, I think your baby is FINE...
    Last edited by OX Jess; 10-04-2010 at 04:10 PM.

TNT
    TNT is offline Banned
    As jvn and others have said, you have nothing to worry about. Your baby is very well nourished on those amounts and sounds like he is ready to drop the midday feed naturally. Both my children had dropped back to 2 milk feeds a day at 12 months; both breast fed only and good eaters of solids, but they naturally just dropped the midday feed around 10-12 months (my 1st slightly earlier than the 2nd). Neither like cows milk either; I checked with the maternal health nurse with the 1st as although she was very healthy just wanted to make sure i wasn't going to cause any problems later and was told no problem as long as she had other sources of calcium-they both have cheese and yoghurt. So with your little one still on 3 milk feeds am sure you don't have anything to worry about. And your supply will naturally adjust. My 15 month old only has a morning feed now (his choice) and still seems to be finding plenty of milk!

stamcel is offline Registered User
    HI Jess,

Yep, my son is happy, energetic, smiling, pooping and putting on a little weight, his is almost 12kgs ...so no need to put on any more for his size.

Thanks, stamcel