Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

costs of private hospital stay in HK

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    have you looked into Canossa? i recall there rates for packages were the most reasonable, but the number of maternity beds is also the lowest so you would need to book soon...do you have a fixed OBGYN that will deliver for you? if so, you can just push the nurses to get the room for you, they are more effective than the patient cause of their (your doctors) connections.

babyblue#1 is offline Registered User
    Thanks guys for the info.. the main reason I'm so concerned's because I don't have insurance and public hospital is a big no to me.. ( havent had any experience with HK publics but the publics in Australia and Macau turned me off real bad)
    I'm just very surprised that I have to start booking myself in asap for a space, and that panicked me a little. But I have finally decided which hospital I should go... and I do really hope that it wont cost me a fortune for a birth!

carang is offline Registered User
    how can you possibly compare public hospitals in australia to those in hk? especially since you have no experience of the hospitals in hk???

i've had two children through the public system. although there were no luxuries at all and a few small issues with some of the staff, at the end of the day, i have 2 happy, healthy children (the MOST important thing to me) that came out of two EXTREMELY complicated pregnancies.

the other thing to think about: NONE of the private hospitals are set up to deal with any serious complications for the baby. if something goes wrong? they'll send the baby to Queen Mary Hospital ( a public hospital).

AmyH is offline Registered User
    Licquorice,

I had a c-section in the Prince of Wales hospital and the surgeon and anaestatist were very professional and I had absolutely no issues with their capabilities. Strangely, the on call OBGYN, Surgeon and Anaestatst were all Australian when I had my delivery so there were no language barrier issues. The nurses were all very friendly and professional throughout and if I were to ever have another child I would not hesitate to go back there again.

Bumps Guest
    "how can you possibly compare public hospitals in australia to those in hk? especially since you have no experience of the hospitals in hk???"

This sounds so belittling. Sorry but it does.

Liquorice is offline Registered User
    Thanks AmyH. Reassuring.

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    i'm not sure what your experiences have been in the past, but whatever it is, it is very personal...i went private for both my pregnancies - the first one my baby ended up in a public hospital (QM) with complications and the second one was fine. at the end of the day, i would probably go private again only because for me i will know exactly who will be helping me deliver my baby, which to me is very important. (the first one was delivered by a substitute doctor who'd i'd only seen once before as my doctor was on holiday!...didn't want to go through that all again with the second one). it did help that i had insurance coverage so i paid only a small proportion of the cost....i must add though that had my 1st daughter was sent from matilda to QM for emergency care as they did not have the life saving equipment she needed which only 2 hospitals (ONLY public - QM and Prince of Wales) had since it is not cost effective for private hospitals to buy (YES, even though they charge you an arm and a leg in fees!)...since it these types of equipment are not commonly used.

I paid up to $11K for both my pregnancies - private at Matilda (had complications so it was more expensive that expected) and second at HK Sanatorium. Matilda I pretty much knew what room I was going to be in - the prices for the room types are NOT that great...at HK Sanatorium they don't promise you anything...when I checked in, I had a choice between deluxe room and shared room (and bathroom), which personally I didn't want to do (perhaps I'm anal, but I didn't want to share a bathroom) so that is why it cost so much...but with insurance coverage it was easy for me to decide in a sense.

My daughter stayed at the QM ICU unit for 10 days and it came to $500, my friends delivered twins at QM via public and paid $600...the machinery is great and the staff are wonderful, nurse probably have more experience than nurse at private (unless it's matilda since i believe that's a "maternity" hospital mostly) so I wouldn't worry about that not being good enough. the only thing for me is i NEEDED to know who my doctor was...the public health system is great here in HK - I wouldn't worry too much about that....my daughter still has regular follow up checks at QM and she's already 2! Good luck with whatever you decide!

carang is offline Registered User
    bumps, it wasn't meant that way at all and i'm sorry if it came out sounding that way. it really wasn't mant as such.

whichever hospital one chooses, they choose according to what they think is best for them. i have no problem with that whatsoever. my point was simply that you cannot compare public hospitals in australia to public hospitals in hk, especially if you've never experienced a public hospital in hk. i grant that public hospitals are not perfect and that they have a lot of seemingly silly rules, but medically speaking there is absolutely nothing wrong wiht public hospitals. like i said, if anything goes wrong with your baby, they will end up in a public hospital anyway.

again, apologies if i came across as rude, it was not intended.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12