Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Helper sick - what to do for cover?

starbucks2 is offline Registered User

Helper sick - what to do for cover?

Hi

My helper has been to the doctor today and needs to go to the hospital for further tests. I am worried for her and am hoping that she is going to be ok.

I can't help thinking about contingency planning if she needs to stay in hospital for a few days or longer since my husband and I both work. What have others done? Have you taken time off work (leave or sick leave?) to care for your kids or have you gone to an agency to get a temp helper to cover while she is off work? I would not be that keen to leave my 2 kids with a temp who I do not know but am not able to take a lot of time off if that becomes necessary.

Would be interested to hear how others have managed this.

Thanks
    SB2

BabyG is offline Registered User
    My helper was diagnosed with herpes zoster last week. Our doctor called me and told me to isolate her from my kids because they might contract chickenpox from her. I have 2 kids ( a 2 year old who was in hospital 2 weeks ago with a bad case of flu) and a 6 week old newborn. I am counting myself lucky that my in-laws are here for a few weeks holiday or else I would have lost my mind! My helper who is very close to me said that she felt more comfortable going back to the Philippines for a week to recuperate rather than stay in a boarding house or a spare room in the apartment my in-laws are staying in while they are in HK.

Unfortunately these things happen and it is a good idea to plan ahead for "just in case" scenarios. Do you have any family or close friends abroad who can come at a moments notice? Or friends you can trust in HK who could help? Otherwise, you could try taking turns going on leave with hubby so that either one of you are at home during the time your helper is off work.

I hope your helper feels better soon.

Thanks BabyG

Gataloca is offline Registered User
    I was thinking about that also... I don't have a helper, but will need one soon. But my concern is not the helper getting sick, but pregnant. What will happen if your helper get pregnant? All pregnancy are protected by law, but what will happen if your helper cannot fulfill her duty due to a high risk pregnancy, for example? I guess you cannot replace her... do you have to end up taking care of your helper????

Hi Gataloca

Yes, if your helper got pregnant, you would cannot terminate her and she would only be able to do those chores which she was able to manage. I'd expect she could not do much towards the end (although when I was pregnant I worked up until 2 weeks before both my due dates - but an office job not childminding/housework). It is a risk that any employer takes (not just employers of helpers) that their employees will get pregnant and need to lessen their duties. You would also need to give the helper her 10 weeks of maternity leave. I understand that you can approach immigration about hiring a second helper if you need help because your first one is pregnant or on maternity leave. Or could get some help from a part time legal helper?

carang is offline Registered User
    anyone can hire a second helper, not just if your current helper is pregnant. i actually know someone with 6 helpers...

Gataloca is offline Registered User
    I also worked till week 38, but mine was office job. But helper job has another nature, and may require carrying heavy toddlers, cleaning, cooking, etc... it may be hard when one is heavily pregnant, with swollen feet, pelvis pain, etc.... I remember that when I was heavily pregnant, my bump would get so hot when I was cooking at the stove, that I was afraid that it may harm the baby.

And just for curiosity... where will the helper live on her maternity leave? I guess she will not be able to fly back home when she is 36 week pregnant!

LeahH is offline Registered User
    They either leave before their last available date to fly back and give birth at home, or give birth here and stay in another location of their choice. My helper stayed here, gave birth at QM, and lived with friends for her mat leave. She came back to work PT (brought the baby with her) and then took bub home at 5 months to leave with her mother (so sad). I had 2 helpers and was on mat leave myself with a slightly older baby so it worked out fine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast