Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

ONE EGG A DAY for a 1.5 year old?! OK?

OX Jess is offline Registered User

ONE EGG A DAY for a 1.5 year old?! OK?

My son, 16 months old, is a Little Egg Monster. He is not really a picky eater but he is not always in the mood for breakfast. Once about a month ago I gave him a fresh boiled egg for breakfast and ever since he;s found a "new world"! Now every morning he demands to have the fridge open and then points to the eggs. I just wonder if it is OK if a toddler is fed ONE EGG A DAY, 7 eggs a week? Thanks.

geomum is offline Registered User
    I think its ok but it should not be effecting his appetite through out the day. If his diet is fairly well balanced and includes grains, vegs, fruits, milk, cheese, yogurt etc etc.

Thanks Geomum.
    So far his appetite does not seem to be affected.
    I know egg is indeed a very nutritious food but I was just wondering if it would be TOO MUCH to have one egg a day.

shuchisingh is offline Registered User
    it's not too much... but it's more a question of balanced diet. is he having enough carbs to balance the protien from egg. plus greens etc.

ssheng is offline Registered User
    Will he just take the white and not the yolk? Or can you give him half a yolk? I know nothing about toddler nutrition but for adults, I understand you can have as many whites as you like, because they are cholesterol free, but the yolks contain almost 200% of your daily cholesterol levels. (That being said, apparently there is something in the whites that counterbalances a lot of the negative effects of the high cholesterol in the yolks, so eating them together is also fine).

LeahH is offline Registered User
    Both my kids eat a poached or boiled egg most mornings, maybe 5 out of 7, as do my husband and I. They LOVE them!

I looked extensively online and the consensus I came to was that its' totally fine and a very nutritious breakfast. There was some cholesterol issues raised years ago, but that research seems to have been discounted. I agree that the remainder of his diet is important. We make sure our kids have enough veges/whole grains/fruits and not too heavy on animal protein for the remainder of the day.

He takes the whole egg, not just the white or the yolk, but I know he loves the yolk more.
    Yes, I try to give him a balanced diet, which I know important. He is not only fed on eggs. Eggs are only served to him for breakfast, although sometimes he will be given a little bit more later on if he spots us eating eggs in the evening! He is given rice/pasta daily for lunch & dinner, in which I always mix with a portion of meat (fish/chicken/pork) and a portion of veggies. Fruits are served between meals. Cheese / Yoghurt are served as snacks. Therefore, I think he is having an ok diet at the moment although he eats more one day than the other. I think I will give him eggs during the week and something else at the weekend when I don't have to rush off to work :))