Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

playgroups DB

dueJuly is offline Registered User

playgroups DB

Hello,
    We are moving to DB with our 2 y/o in Dec.
    I'd like to find a playgroup for her to join.
    Where can i find a list of playgroups in DB to call and visit?
    Alternatively, fell free to recommend one to me that your child is happy at.

Thanks!

starbucks2 is offline Registered User
    Hi,

There are heaps of options in DB. Do you want accompanied or drop off? There are many more drop off ones than accompanied.

We have only been to Second Friends which is an accompanied one. Pretty relaxed environment with free play, arts and crafts, snack time and mat time with songs and stories. There is also Funfit (also accompanied) but I have not tried that one. I believe it is a more active, gym type class. Another I have not tried is the new Montessori school in DB North. They have a playgroup where parents can attend with their child.

As above, there are many more options for drop off classes. Some that I have heard people talking about are Mountainview Montessori, Sugar and Spice, Midget Gems, DMK, DB Bugs and Sunshine House. Also the new Montessori school in DB North. We have just enrolled our 2.5 year old son in the DMK Playgroup which is for 2 - 3 year olds and is a drop off class for 2 hours in the morning or afternoon.

If you are thinking of staying in DB for a while then it would pay to consider which kindy/primary school you want to send your child to as some of the playgroups offer K1 - K3 which is good if you are wanting kindy at DBIS and are on the waitlist waiting. If you are thinking Discovery College for primary school then I'd look into the ESF kindy in Tsing Yi as (apparently) if your child attends the ESF kindy then they are guaranteed an interview (but not a place necessarily) at Discovery College. Schooling is a nightmare in HK so although your child is only 2, it might be worth thinking about K1 options now.

If you do a google search for the Discovery Bay Forum there are a lot of discussions on there about the different playgroup options.

Good luck

SB2
    Last edited by starbucks2; 10-05-2010 at 09:47 AM.

dueJuly is offline Registered User
    SB2 thanks for the info.
    It's been a huge help!