Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Inductions

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User

Inductions

I'm due in 2 days but am already starting to think ahead that I might not go into labor before then so wanted to ask other mummies about their experience with inductions after their due date. My first baby was 6 days early and I had a relatively easy labor with no induction help so am just curious as to how inductions work and what is the common practice in HK for inductions. Thanks'
    Posted via Mobile Device

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    At the public hospital, this is what happened with me. First they checked my cervix to see if it was soft/ready. If it is, they will go straight to oxytocin. If not, first there's a prostaglandin suppository that they will insert to prepare the cervix. Sometimes that is enough to induce labour. For me though, it did soften my cervix but then my waters broke before my contractions were regular. I could have waited and seen if my contractions did end up getting stronger and more regular - but I chose to have the oxytocin right away.

I don't know if/when they will break your water as a part of the induction process since both times, I had premature rupture of membranes anyway.

I think some private doctors do the "sweep" thing where they will manually try to loosen the mucus plug or whatever - but the public hospital didn't do that - just went straight to the prostaglandin...

Hope that helps!!

Gataloca is offline Registered User
    It depends on the doctor, but I think the general practice is to do that at week 41.

When I went to my doctor appointment at week 40, he found that the baby hasn't drop, and his position was the same as 2 weeks ago. He said that I may still try for a normal delivery and have an induction at week 41, but there was a 80% chance that the baby would not engage, and would require an emergency c-section.

I have also read that many inductions end up in emergency c-section (specially for 1st time mom), so I decided to go to the c-section directly and save the pain and stress from my baby and myself.... But probably you will not have the same problem, as you had a easy delivery before.

Have you tried any of those natural way to bring up labor? Some say to eat pineapple or unripe papaya. Walking also help. Wish you the best, and hope that your baby will not make you wait too long! Have a happy delivery!

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User
    Thanks for the info! I really would rather not have a c-section so hope the baby comes soon!!

Nicolejoy - Out of curiousity, why did you choose to have the oxytocin right away? When I had my first, my waters broke before I had any contractions and then the contractions came on regular and strong very quickly without any help at all. Also how many days overdue were you when you were induced? Thanks again!
    Last edited by FutureHKmom; 10-06-2010 at 12:00 PM.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    FutureHKmom - two reasons I chose to have it right away. One - in my first pregnancy, I also had the premature rupture of membranes and I chose to wait it out, but even a day later I was having hardly any contractions so I HAD to have the oxytocin then, plus my first born had to go to Special Care because of the chance of infection since she ended up being born 36 hours after my waters broke. And number two - my mum was in HK and she was leaving something like 4 days later, and I just wanted the baby to be born ASAP.

I think the second time around, I might have considered waiting because I was having contractions that were getting more intense - but they weren't regular. I may have ended up not needing the oxytocin. But with my pregnancy complications as well as my mum leaving less than a week later, I just wanted it over with ASAP.

I was induced at 6 days after my due date (the postaglandin - but the oxytocin was the following morning). They would have allowed me to go later if I wanted, but I told them I wanted it done ASAP.

My opinion is though, it's better to try to be induced and then you have a fairly good chance of not needing a C section. I know that there is a chance of a failed induction, but I don't think it's THAT high - particularly if you've had a vaginal delivery before...

In my second delivery, I was walking around as soon as they let me out of the bed - and I was discharged about 16 hours after my daughter was born with minimal pain. I wouldn't have had such a fast recovery if I'd had a C section.

KathyKitzis is offline Registered User
    I know it's easy to say, but why don't you try to wait for your body to do it's thing. The due date is really only a guesstimate and anywhere between 37-42 weeks is considered normal (although in HK they rarely let you get past 40 wks) If you body went into labour naturally last time why would you think it won't do it again this time.
    If you do go over you could try some non medical things to try to encourage labour such as acupuncture, anything that stimulates oxytocin (ie nipple stimulation/sex/****ing and cuddling). There are many more ways.
    Then the least invasive in some ways is a sweep of the membranes. If you cervix is not ready they will put a prostaglandin gel to try to ripen the cervix then usually it will be a syntocin drip.
    The best thing is to try to have faith that your body will go into labour when it is ready.
    Hope this helps and good luck with your birth.

rebekah is offline Registered User
    I was induced at 42 weeks at Matilda (under former Dr. Dawkins) basically they admitted night before planned induction and give cervical prostaglandin (times 2 if there is any change) and then in my case chose to break my water, get epidural and then start pitocin. Each Doctor and hospital have little differences, but try to relax. Most people do go into labor before 41 weeks.

Scroll to top