Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Help! Need a Private Hospital that Isn't Booked Up. Asap.

thanka2 is offline Registered User

Question Help! Need a Private Hospital that Isn't Booked Up. Asap.

Well. I'm pregnant with my second child. I went back to the US for the birth of the first one. I was planning to bite the bullet and give birth in the public hospital here because right now I don't have the option of going back to the States because I would have to take so much time off of work to do that.

I registered at a public hospital, even though, because of the way I believe in going through labor (no interventions including induction, augmentation or breaking of waters, 100% drug-free and natural, with my husband assisting, ability to walk and do whatever I want during labor to help, calming atmosphere to help me stay focused and as a form of pain management, not tethered to a baby monitor or IV etc.) I really am not convinced that any HK hospital would be able to meet my standard.

I've thought it out, talked it out and heard stories from all sides as well as registered with the public hospital and attended the appointments there as well as with a private doctor. I was also hospitalized in a public hospital when I suffered a miscarriage earlier this year so I got a real feel for the gynecology department and yeah, it definitely didn't redeem any of my notions of what the public hospital in HK is all about.

So, here's my problem. Recently, my parents-in-law, when they found out that I was planning to give birth in the public hospital offered to pay for me to give birth in one of the private hospitals in HK. They are certainly not made of money but they also have misgivings about the public hospitals (and they are very local people). So, I was going to take them up on their offer. I'm 16 weeks pregnant and asked my private doctor if he could book me in one of the hospitals he delivers at. However, Adventist and Union Hospital are booked all the way up until May and I'm due at the end of March. I half-jokingly told my husband, "Well, I guess I'll just hold the baby in until then--kind of like you do when you have to go pee and there is no restroom nearby. I guess that's what HK ladies do."

But, seriously, I still would like to give birth in the private hospital. Don't have enough $$ to book a place like Matilda but I guess I'm starting over from square one because I need to find a place that isn't booked solid and also a doctor who is decent (arrrgh...one of the hardest things to do in HK in my opinion), doesn't overcharge and can get me into that hospital.

How can I do this? Any experiences?

TheQuasimother is offline Registered User

Thanka2, isn't any private hospital expensive? I compared costs and Matilda's 4 bedder was quite comparable.

My OBGYN, Dr. Chan, who totally delivered on my needs and does deliver without medical intervention (apart from my request for an epi) - the mum next to my bed (also Aussie) did it with no drugs naturally with him too despite his high c-section rate (could be the no. of locals/mainlanders he sees too). It was her choice. He's quite the go with the flow doctor and very much the hand holder through any crisis. Love the man. He delivers at many hospitals aside from The Matilda. When I was there on Tuesday for my 6 week check (post-natal), I overheard his nurse ring up every hospital for a bed for one of his patients. They do work very hard for Dr Chan's patients but sometimes, you need to ring them to follow up if they are super busy.

Also, you could try the Adventist in Tsuen Wan. They have packages that are reasonable with their inhouse doctors. They are quite reasonably priced but I don't know how the bill is calculated there. So the final bill could be similar to Matilda as they bill for everything!

Good Luck! I hope you find something soon!

“If you want to get to the castle, you’ve got to swim the moat.” Richard Jenkins in Eat Pray Love

The cost for me to deliver at either Adventist or Union is around $40K HKD (my doctor's fees are around $10-13K) whereas for Matilda it's around $100-130K (according to posts by Rani on this website). So, I'd say a difference of $60K is a big difference. Adventist is 100% booked through May. I spoke with my doctor's nurse, my doctor and the office at the Adventist today and was told no way, no how I could book there even if I went with one of their resident doctors like Cora Ngai. Impossible, I was told. Union is the same story. Adventist was my first choice. If I had known sooner that private hospital might be an option for me I would have booked but I can't go back three months to the moment I found out I was pregnant now.

Can you give me the contacts for Dr. Chan?

shuchisingh is offline Registered User

thanks2 - matilda (4 bed ward) is 22 k approx - link's below. rest are your doc's fees, cost for epidurals etc etc. adventist is usually more expensive than matilda (like to like) but in any case the difference for a similar package between the two hospitals is not in the range of 60k.

http://www.matilda.org/eng/service/m...ty/package.php

what rani has mentioned is the cost for a private room + csec or an emergency csec.

Thanka2, I've talked about the bill before but here it is again!

Total Bill (at Check Out - after a 4 day 3 night stay) = $63 000
    This bill includes:
    (1) Birth Suite charges
    (2) 3 meals a day
    (3) All toiletries (It is really a hotel) - No need to bring sanitary napkins, disposable underwear etc. Everything is provided. Toiletries for baby were free too! Including outfits.
    (4) OBGYN fees for delivery and daily visits - (It was $23000 out of the total bill)
    (5) Anesthetist fees & epidural
    (6) PD fees for daily visits & all tests - including PKU, hearing test, jaundice test.
    (7) Meals for hubby
    (8) Room charges

It would be less if you don't use the epi and don't need the anesthetist. I think the woman who did it without paid $52 000 (in total - bill at checkout)

Here is Dr. Chan's office number: 2522 2500.

The Matilda has increased their prices. Check with them what the latest price for a 4 bedroom ward and if you see Dr. Chan, ask his nurse to give you his price (at the end of the first visit). Also, ask if he has a package for women without insurance.

“If you want to get to the castle, you’ve got to swim the moat.” Richard Jenkins in Eat Pray Love

carey is offline Registered User

Hi Thanka2, reading your post really sets an alarm for me. I am not sure now if I would get a place at the Union for my second either.

I am 9 weeks now and I have an appointment with a resident doctor at the Union next week when I will be in my 10 weeks. This is my second one at the Union. I think I am due around early May. But since it will be a c-section, (first was), I would actually"get cut" end of April.

I will only find out when I am at my next appoitment with the doctor. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Good luck to you too.

Ah, disaster averted. My doctor's nurse just called this morning and told me that after working tirelessly over the past day or so, my doctor was able to get a place for me in Adventist in Tsuen Wan. So happy because I don't have to change doctors. With my first pregnancy, I went to a couple of the "super star" doctors (both frequently recommended on this site and others that expats in HK use) and had unbelievably bad experiences with both. In fact, I just couldn't find a doctor in HK that I liked and could afford to see at the time so that was also a big reason why I went back to the States to give birth.

But, this time around, thank God, I found a doctor who is affordable and laid-back and who is on board with what I want in labor. I was really stressed thinking I would have to give that up and start again looking for a new doctor. So, my husband is going to go pick up the referral letter today and book my spot this afternoon.

Miracles do happen. Even in Hong Kong. :P

Congratulations Thanka2! I'm glad it worked out well for you!

Just a note with regard to TW Adventist. Be very specific with them especially post-natal care. Make sure that your hubby reminds them constantly about your wishes. They aren't the most meticulous lot when it comes to mother's wishes! In our family's experience, they were not respectful of our needs and wishes despite having signs on being open all over! They just required reminders of their policies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast