Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Warning about Public Hospital 20 wk Scan!

Liquorice is offline Registered User
    I have to say that I was not worried at all when a midwife did my 20 week scan. Personally, I have a lot of faith in midwives as they are often very experienced in what they do. My mother works in the medical profession in the UK (physiotherapist, spent a lot of time in maternity) and says also that midwives are really respected there. In the public system, it seems that it is the midwives that routinely do the 20 week scan, so I trusted mine as she must have seen so many hundred of babies. Also, I believe that they should tell you what abnormalities the scan can and cannot detect.

They don't explain as much, that is what I found lacking. And I don't like having to see only junior doctors every time I go instead of someone with more experience. However I am having an elective c-section and I will meet the surgeon and the anesthetist one week before the operation so I am happier about that.

If I were you, I'd go and get a private scan. You can tell them your concerns and ask them to specifically double-check everything. That is what I did. Not because of my 20 week scan but because the doctors alarmed me by telling me that my baby was too big and they made me come back for scans every three weeks without really explaining the possible issues/problems/implications properly. I went to a lovely doctor in Central who confirmed that everything was completely normal. He said that in the public system, the regular check-ups are done by junior doctors and they aren't that confident. I guess being over-cautious is better than being under-cautious though...

banane76 is offline Registered User
    Nothing is ever 100%, but you could always get a private doctor to do another scan for you. It shouldn't be a problem. VBACs do need a doctor that has experience though I believe so I would try to get a doctor that supports that because not all doctors will be supportive of it...easier to just do another c-section. Don't give up. If you are really keen on a VBAC, you should go for it!

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    I managed to get a booking with my former obgyn at union who did my son's big scan. He is really lovely and supposedly fit me into his busy schedule bc I told the nurse the problem and how many weeks I am. She said the dr does them before 24 wks and I will be 23 and 5 days at that time. I will still think about whether to go or not, for some expert advice and experience, rather than from some random hk public midwife who may have just passed her assessment last week ( she keep telling me defensively that she passed the assessment and was qualified to Carr out such u/s).

As for my VBAC, really nervous now. I'm ok with the idea of being taken care of midwives and nurses throughout labour if I had a normal situation, but this is different. I just felt like every time I talked to public DRs (3 times) about having a VBAC, they were almost too supportive, like it would be automatically pushed onto me, but not necessarily with experienced and skilled back up medical workers, just whomever will be on duty then.
    When I talked to my private doc here who I have seen a few times( he is out of Adventist) he sounded so confident and told me he would never let my labour escalate to a dangerous situation. I called TWAH yesterday and that doctor is booked up until the following month after my due date. Of course.

I just feel unsettled now that I don't really seem to have any options. Yes, I can get another scan from a wicked doctor, and I am sure the baby is fine, but that doesn't change how I now feel about the hospital, system, and how my personal labour might go.

Melodramatic, maybe, but I feel justified: this is my body, my baby and my family, and they are all serious enough for me to be dramatic.

carang is offline Registered User
    if anything, i've found the public hospitals to be overly cautious. at the first sign of any trouble they do what they think is medically necessary. if they think that a c-section is better for you and the baby, then they'll suggest you do that...strongly.

good luck with your decision. as for melodramatic, yes... but many pregnant women are... that doesn't matter. what matters is your comfort with your situation. if you are not comfortable with it and can afford alternate care, then that is probably best for you.

TheQuasimother is offline Registered User
    Glad to hear that you have an alternative.
    Essentially with pregnancy and it's hormones, do whatever gives you a peace of mind.
    Takes the edge out of the entire process.
    Last edited by TheQuasimother; 10-10-2010 at 10:34 PM.
    “If you want to get to the castle, you’ve got to swim the moat.” Richard Jenkins in Eat Pray Love

Shenzhennifer, are you certain that you will just have whatever doctor is on duty? This is what I assumed (and what bothered me) about my delivery, but in fact as I am having a cesarian I will know who is doing the delivery (the surgeon and anesthetist) and I will get the chance to meet with them a week before, go over my history and ask them whatever questions I want etc. I did not know that this was the case until I was about 24 or 25 weeks when they set up the appointment for me. Maybe it will be similar for you with a VBAC. And if it isn't, then maybe you could try insisting that you meet with whoever is going to be doing it / on duty that day. Or insisting that a doctor is present. If you kick up enough of a fuss it might work.

carang is offline Registered User
    not, it won't be similar... you can meet your doctor for the c-section because they have scheduled it. they KNOW who the doctor is working that day. for a vaginal birth, there's no way to know when she'll go into labour, so they cannot arrange for her to meet the doctor who will be on call that day.

Of course. Good point.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast