Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

4-5 pregnant- acute nausea

rs2000 is offline Registered User

4-5 pregnant- acute nausea

Hi All,

i am 4-5 wweks pregnant and have nausea. this is the 4th day where i have been able to drink only 1.5-2 glasses of liquids ina day.
    in my first pregnancy, the nausea was so acute that i developed urinary tract infection. then was hospitalized for atleast 5-6 times in first 4 months as i simply could not digest anything.
    now the symptoms are not that bad but its still 4-5 th weeks only. back then, i had support of a few helpers and relatives in my home country.

here i dont have a helper and have to take care of my 4 years old daughter too. i am trying to hire a FT helper but i think the whole process might take upto 4-6 weeks alteast. i am getting nightmares just to think about that would happen if the situation gets as bad or even half as bad a last time.

i havent selected some gynaecologist i would be visiting on regular basis yet. just went to one for a scan and preg. test. can someone recommend some good doctor (i have insurance ). heard dr. gosh is good? i live in tung chung but obviously will have to goto central/kowloon for good doctors.

apart from this. please share your experiences on this nausea in first trimester? anything helped u? i have 15 kind of drinks at home and have tried chewing candies, lolipops etc etc. nothing helped. how much liquid shall i take to avoid getting admitted to hospital with dehydration? any thoughts?
    i am just scared!

thanks a lot for your help

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    I had nausea too in my first tri for both pregnancies, but not as bad as you describe. Sounds awful. I swore to myself that this would be my last pregnancy, I felt so crappy all the time.
    How about drinking something with electrolytes. I don't know what has it besides Gatorade here(but also lots of sugar can make u feel I'll too), but there's a new version called G2 but if it's in HK, I don't know.
    For a helper, there are some agencies that can give you temp helpers while you wait and other agencies that specialize in short term ones.

thanks. i will try that drink.
    can anyone else share her experience as well. i dont know whats the procedure here for getting onto the drip incase i really get ddehydrated. would i have to actually get admitted in the hospotal for a day and would have to see some doctor. back in my home counry, i could get recommendation from a doctor and would walk in a clinic/hospital to get the drip.

also please pass me the contact of agencies prioviding temp helpers , my husband works long hours in banking and i really really need someone asap to help with my daughter.

thanks again!

hi all,

any inputs please? havent even found a PT helper yet.

have not been able to drink a single glass of water today. just worried....................

ssheng is offline Registered User
    rs2000,

I never used this service but saw that another mom recommended them on a thread - looks like they are a babysitting service.

http://www.insafehands.com.hk/babysitting.html

There are of course part-time maid services as well, but it sounded like you only wanted someone who can help with your daughter. Plus, we used a part-time helper for awhile, and it is hit and miss with someone you can trust to watch your child (just like with hiring any full-time helper), so I imagine a service specifically for babysitting will at least have the proper training/credentials for their employees. Again - did not use that website myself, just saw it and thought to link to it since you sounded at your wit's end!

As for nausea, I had this as well for the entire 1st trimester plus some of the 2nd, although I was able to keep food down, so it sounds like a totally different situation. I found that forcing myself to nibble on bland things like saltine crackers, kept the nausea at bay. Also, I didn't get sick when I ate fresh fruit. Processed foods (other than the crackers) were harder to take.

Hannah's Mom is offline Registered User
    No idea if this would help. I've not tried them but came across this link when I was looking for part time!
    http://www.erb.org/smartliving/

good luck......

charade is offline Registered User
    rs2000... can't help with the part-time helper thing, but just wanted to tell you that when processing your helpers visa, include a letter to the immigration department explaining your situation (you are pregnant, suffering from nausea, have a young child and your husband is at work all day) and attach a doctor's certificate confirming you are pregnant. My helper's visa came through in two weeks, and her's was a more complicated case as she had terminated her previous contract and had to leave HK, go to the Philippines and come back. So, I do think that including that letter helps.

For nausea, I found it's an empty stomach that is the killer. I would wake up at night and eat a couple of biscuits. It's trial and error that tells you what biscuits work - mine were saltines and these Japanese sesame biscuits. But if you can't even keep water down, maybe ask your doc to prescribe something?