Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

3 mth old refuses bottles after drinking just enough to feel not hungry

1sttimemom is offline Registered User

3 mth old refuses bottles after drinking just enough to feel not hungry

I am desperate for some assurance that what my little one is going through is just a phase. Would be great if anybody could share their experiences!

About 2 weeks ago, she started refusing the bottle after drinking just enough to feel not hungry. At first, I thought it was a phase, one of those "wonder weeks" where she is about to make a developmental leap and therefore too busy with practicing her new skills to care about eating. Week 12 (approx) was supposed to be one of those weeks.

But now, I wonder if she'll ever be a good eater.

She used to get her first meal at about 7-730am, but have pushed it to 8am as she doesn't seem hungry when she first wakes up. She has too much energy and is busy playing, checking out the world... We feed her every 3.5 -4 hours and while her meals can start anywhere in the house, they often end up in the dark corner of a room (with nothing interesting to look at) with us trying to calm her to get her to drink more. A feed can take anywhere from 30 mins to 1.5 hours although I always try to limit to 1 hr.

We get about 2 good meals a day. Max 3. The first and the last (at about 1030-11pm) aren't so great. She wakes up 1-3 times a night, and I am thinking it's because she doesn't get enough milk during the day. At night, I only give her milk when I'm sure she's hungry - usually once or twice.

To make matters more complicated: we just moved to Beijing 5 days ago, so her surroundings have changed.

She is a happy baby and is gaining weight, so I guess I shouldn't be too worried. But my mom, who has been helping/coaching me, will be leaving in 2 weeks leaving me on my own so I am a nervous wreck.

Oh, she's never been an especially good eater and I do feel she's a spirited baby. Stubborn and persistent.

Thanks for reading this long post. Help!

oi0io is offline Registered User
    Perhaps your baby is bored with the teat? Have you tried upping the speed of it? They are suppose to finish their bottles 15 mins or less. If they take longer, it should be time to change the teat to the next level.

1sttimemom is offline Registered User
    Thanks! I am trying a faster flowing teat. Her first meal didn't go well... she kept pushing the bottle away.

I am also trying to give her less during the night, so it doesn't interfere with her first meal of the day.

sunrays is offline Registered User
    My daughter never drank much milk, she is still that way now at 4. However, she is great at eating food and will eat everything, so it's not a sign of worse to come!

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    your daughter sounds exactly like mine! and I thought I was the only one! perhaps it's the temperature of the milk...with mine, I make sure to heat the milk with the bottle warmer so that the temperature is consistent....she drinks it a lot faster that way compared to when it's room temperature. i'm not too worried about the amount she drinks during the day, but am extremely anxious about the last feed at 12mn that she gets as much as possible so can sleep longer stretches.

at 3mths she was drinking 3-4oz per feeding and feeding every 4 -5 hours....i starved her a bit and managed to up it to 5-6oz for a couple weeks, but even then she'd drink 3oz, stop, at which time I'd heat the bottle in the warmer, and then 5mins later finish off the remaining 2-3oz. this helped to enlarge her appetite I believe, and now at 4mths she's drinking 7oz consistently...sometimes in 2 sittings, if she's really hungry all 7oz in 1 sitting, but all done within 20mins - last night she did one sitting in 10mins which was amazing!!!

I think the temperature of the milk helps alot and the fact that no distractions is also crucial...if there is anyone around, she will smile and want to socialize! but now, we stick to the schedule more or less, feedings take 15mins or less and if she's hungry in between feedings because she didn't drink enough - she gets the pacifier...not the best, but so far the only way to soothe her and make her stick to a schedule - so far it's working - she's slept through the night for the past week (8pm last feeding, 12mn feeding when she's asleep and she wakes up at 8am)