Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

travelling without husband

nino is offline Registered User
    I've only been asked for a letter on my most recent trip back to Canada (August). I've traveled back on my own with my daughter and have never been asked for one and I so didn't have one on this trip. The custom's agent "strongly recommended" I have one the next time I travel without my husband, especially since I was returning to my home country without him. She seemed surprised that this had never happened before. When I asked if it had to be notarized, she said it should be, but that was only after I asked. I did "get in" without the letter though.

Gataloca is offline Registered User
    Heard that it is required for Venezuela.... but I don't think you were considering going there, heheh

carang is offline Registered User
    sample of "letter of consent" from canadian consulate. some changes have been made to suit our trip on saturday...

To Whom It May Concern
    I , XY(passport #), am married to XX (passport #). We are the lawful custodial parents of

Child’s full name:
    Date of birth (DD/MM/YY):
    Place of birth:
    Canadian passport number:
    Date of issuance of Canadian passport (DD/MM/YY):
    Place of issuance of Canadian passport:

And

Child’s full name:
    Date of birth (DD/MM/YY):
    Place of birth:
    Canadian passport number:
    Date of issuance of Canadian passport (DD/MM/YY):
    Place of issuance of Canadian passport:

Children's names, have my consent to travel with my wife, XX.
    Full name of accompanying person:
    Canadian or foreign passport number:
    Date of issuance of passport (DD/MM/YY):
    Place of issuance of passport:

to visit (name of countries) during the period of dates of departure and arrival back to HK. During that period, they will be residing with XX & XY at the following address:

Any questions regarding this consent letter can be directed to the undersigned at:
    our address

Signature(s):_____________________________________ _ Date:_________________
    (Full name(s) and signature(s) of custodial parent,
    and/or non-custodial parent(s) or legal guardian(s))
    Signed before me, (name of witness), this

_________________ (date) at ________ ______ (name of location).

Signature: ________________ (name of witness)
    "

as i've said, i've been through immigrationt o canada 3 times in the past 5.5 years and i've been asked EVERY TIME for a letter of consent.

ctrbabe1 is offline Registered User
    I've also traveled between HK, US, Singapore, Thailand, China, and layovers in Japan and Taiwan, and I've never been asked for a letter. However, when I drove to Canada from the US, I was asked if I had his permission to take them into another country and I said yes. They just looked at our passports and let us through.
    All the best,
    Katie

DPinHK is offline Registered User
    I have taken my son to Canada, US (via air and through Canadian borders), Taiwan, Korea, China (numerous times to each country), but have never been asked for such a letter. But I guess it's good to have just in case.

penguinsix is offline Registered User
    In the US some airlines will ask for it and some won't. Sometimes it's just a judgment call of the check-in person in which they gauge your reaction (do you get sweaty, defensive, etc). I suspect it might be more common for folks living in the US with a US address who are going overseas without a parent, rather than vacationing there or passing through. It might also be more common for folks traveling to countries that do not participate in the Hague treaty like Egypt and a few others that are notorious havens for baby snatching parents.

http://www.findthekids.com/middleeast.html

carang is offline Registered User
    well, just went through canadian immigration again last saturday. was again asked if i was the sole custodial parent. answer: no. question: do you have a letter giving your permission to travel with your children from the othe custodial parent?

answer: yes, here is the letter. here is a copy of our itinerary. here is a copy of my husband's itinerary. here is a copy of his passport/hkid.

reply: wow! you are very prepared. excellent. here's your passports. have a great trip!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12