Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Private scan in Central - costs?

Liquorice is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    I was just kidding. I'm 35. I just found it amusing because I was 34 when I got pregnant and when people realised I was going to be 35 when I delivered it was funny how the perceived risk factors changed.

Portia is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    I think Dr Lam's office has moved to St George's Building. Better call to confirm the address if you are interested.

katef Guest
    Thanks again!
    Posted via Mobile Device

newbiekt is offline Registered User
    St Georges Bldg is the old address for Dr Lam. I also think that he is extremely good for scans and I had both my 12 week scans (and blood tests) done by him. But I am now 37 so considered ancient! (Actually the statistics for Downs Sydrome do change pretty dramatically in your mid/late thirties and forties.)

katef Guest
    Thanks again for all the info so far! It's really helpful to hear some real life experiences and I can't ask any of my mum friends here just yet (although bursting to tell someone!)

I'm now thinking of having a first scan at 11-13 weeks instead of 8 but still unsure if this is the best course of action.

Are there any questions that you would recommend asking at the first scan or questions that you didn't ask at the time but regretted later?

penelope is offline Registered User
    hong kong
    hi I think it s a good idea to wait for 12 weeks. the scans you ll get at 8 weeks lets say will really be short and the only thing you ll see really is the little heart beat flashing. I know it can be reassuring to see it but considering the prices here you can wait another 4 weeks. (Or you can see 2 heart beats and that s really freaky!!!!!!! my second pregnancy was twins)

Another option depending on when you ll be relocating is (considering it s your first pregnancy and you re young) to have the scans done by a gyno and the antenatal by a G.P until you relocate. I mean if you're low risk a GP can easily follow you until 6 month. As long as they have a doppler in their office you ll be fine.
    I did that for my first I had a good relationship with my female GP. she just put my visits down as back ache or whatever as my insurance didn't cover maternity. Then at around 6/7 month I switched to the public. But if you relocate before that you won t even have to go to tsan yuk.

katef Guest
    I relocate at around 20 weeks, at which point I will have to dig very deeply into my pockets as we're moving to China and no antenatal care is covered by our insurer (although thankfully the birth is.)

Interesting idea about sticking with the GP for the time being - although she was the one who recommended I go to Tsan Yuk. I'll give her a call for a bit of clarification.

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    South District
    Dr Lam is definitely my choice - he's professional and extremely good with his scans. I'm 34 and as I was close to the "35" mark I was encouraged to do the down syndrome test by my 1st doctor at QM - though when I went to Dr Lam for the test, he said initial readings indicated that the down syndrome test was absolutely unnecessary since there were no signs from what he saw from - he would do it if I really wanted to, but why waste the money when it's not required he said - thought that was quite amazing!

His cost is $1500 - 600 for consulation, 800 for scan. waiting time is about 30mins..but I've been lucky most times, I've only had 15mins waits - but my friends insist it's pure luck! 30mins is about right.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast