Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Private scan in Central - costs?

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    Dr Lam is at Henley building - 2877-3280

charade is offline Registered User
    If you're on the Central side, I saw Dr. Eric Lee in Prince's Building. He charges HK$1000 for consultation and scan. I liked him because he's very patient and answers all questions. Because of that, sometimes the wait is long at his clinic. I always waited half an hour at least. (I have now switched to a doctor in Tseung Kwan O because I live and work in Kowloon). I'll be delivering public.

You could also consider doing scans with the midwives at Annerley for HK$350.

The Down's Syndrome test in the public system is free only for over 35s. If you're less than 35, you can calll and book and appointment yourself but have to pay. There's a specific timeframe they recommend doing it (I think between 11-14 weeks). It was HK$13,000 and pretty thorough. If you google OSCAR test you should find the link to the government hospital booking line.

katef Guest
    HK$13K! Wow! That's steep! I had no idea the tests were that much.

Thank you for the tip on Dr Lee and on Annerley - I've heard very positive things about them.

Liquorice is offline Registered User
    Charade, that $13k must be a typo no?

katef, I am in the public system but had my initial blood tests and the Oscar test either through my GP or privately and it wouldn't have cost anywhere near that much. Can't remember off the top of my head exactly how much it was but it wasn't anything like that.
    Last edited by Liquorice; 10-15-2010 at 05:07 PM.

katef Guest
    So I just contacted Tsan Yuk for a bit of clarification and I will be going in for my registration appointment on 1 December (12 weeks), at which point they will make an appointment for the OSCAR tests there (didn't get the price but I'll find out - let's hope it's not $13k!)

My next question is: how long do Tsan Yuk usually take to schedule your next appointment? I ask as I'm leaving HK for a month on 12 Dec and by the time I get back my understanding is that it'd be too late to have the OSCAR test (17 weeks).

I would hate to miss out on the chance to take the test on the Public system becuase they can't find an appointment time for me but by the same measure, they won't give me a date for this until after my appointment on the 1st Dec. Which leaves me only 11 days to get my OSCAR appointment. Is this realistic?

Thanks so much for the ongoing help - the clous of confusion are starting to lift a little!

penelope is offline Registered User

Cool

They can schedule an appointment pretty quickly. 2/3 days, one week max. then probably you ll have to wait 30 min on the day. My only concern with doing a scan in public is that it s done by students . I know they have to learn but still you know what I mean... A senior doctor will come around to overview.
    For my last pregnancy because I was having twins I had a LOT of scans at tsan yuk and every time I felt like I was a guinea pig for these students, probably because I was having twins... Once a routine scan lasted 45 min!!! that s long when you re 30 weeks pregnant with twins and can t barely breath let alone lye on your back.
    At the end of the day they provided great medical care for $300 for the whole pregnancy and delivery. You can t beat that really so I should stop ranting

charade is offline Registered User
    So sorry... It's 1300 not 13000!!!
    Posted via Mobile Device

katef Guest
    Thanks, overall I've found the public system very good in general for healthcare, but of course I have no experience of childbirth! I guess a bit of a wait isn't too bad if they can schedule me in with enough time to spare. Thanks again!
    Posted via Mobile Device

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast