Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Private scan in Central - costs?

katef Guest

Question Private scan in Central - costs?

Hi!

I'm new here so would welcome some advice from you seasoned Geobaby people!

I've avidly read the threads on private obstetricians, as well as the Geobaby list and there's loads of great recommendations, but I was wondering if anyone could give me some specific referrals?

I am looking for a private obstetrician in Central or Western district for a scan at around 8 weeks (I'm currently 5 weeks pregnant - just found out this week!)

I'll be going through the public system for most of my antenatal care via Tsan Yuk hospital, but would like at least one earlier scan, otherwise it's such a long time to wait until 20 weeks! To complicate things further I'm not actually going to be giving birth in HK as we're relocating although I guess this won't really make a difference?

My question is - as we're paying out of pocket, which doctor do you think provides the best combination of service and price? I've seen costs varying from $700-$1800 quoted here for scans and although price isn't everything, would like to make sure I'm not paying over the odds IYSWIM? I'm less concerned about nice surroundings or a long wait, and more about the amount of time the doctor spends with you answering questions once you're there.

Also, is there anything specific that you would say is a 'must-ask', either at the scan, or at my first public appointment at 12 weeks? As you can tell, I'm totally clueless and will very much welcome having everything spelled out to me as though I'm a complete idiot (please!)

Very excited, although my only experience with babies to date was once being one myself...

Thank you in advance for your help and sorry if these questions are beyond obvious!

AmyH is offline Registered User
    I went to Dr. Doo for my checkups. He charge $1900 in total. $1000 for scan and $900 consultation fee. I have waited a while for my appointment but never felt rushed once I was in the room with him. He explains everything during scan and also explains the reason for any tests he would like to perform (blood tests etc).I felt comfortable refusing test that he thought I should have but that I did not feel I needed and, again, he was fine with this and did not put any pressure on me (the test was the one for downs syndrome)

I was also not delivering with him and he was fine with this so it would not be an issue there that you are not delivering in HK.

Good luck with your pregnancy.

penelope is offline Registered User
    I would probably skip the scan at 8 weeks and just do one at 12 weeks where you ll get the OSCAR test (down syndrome)
    I went public but did all my scans with Dr Lam. He s one of the best for scan and amnio in HK.He told me the sex at 12 weeks for my 3 kids and was right. I think he charges $1500 if I remember correctly.
    Address:
    Unit 3102, 31/ F
    Henley Building
    5 Queen's Road Central
    Hong Kong
    地址 :
    香港皇后大道中
    5號衡怡大廈
    31樓3102室

電話 : 2877 3280
    傳真 : 2523 8971
    電郵 : [email protected]
    www.hkpdc.com
    www.hkpdc.net

penelope is offline Registered User
    But the OSCAR test might be a bit more as you ll get a blood test as well. Can t remember exactly sorry

Gataloca is offline Registered User
    If you are just going to get some scan and are paying out of you pocket, you may consider going to St Paul Hospital. I went there few years ago, and the cost was around HKD 500-600 for the consultation and scan..

katef Guest
    Thanks all!
    That's really useful information so far.
    Guess I need to find out more about the tests required - I didn't realise that the Downs test was recommended as standard procedure? Assuming that they don't do this as part of the 12 week check up in the public system?

Also, silly question, but do the doctors automatically tell you the sex of the baby / write it on your notes? We haven't yet decided if we want to find out and want to be able to keep it a surprise if we decide not to!

Thank you - I think this forum is going to be really useful in the weeks to come for all my silly questions.

Liquorice is offline Registered User
    Mine asked me if I wanted to know before he told me, and subsequently they have asked at each scan whether I know/want to know. Not written on my notes.

They do the Downs test in the public system. It may be only standard if you are over 35 though. There seem to be a lot of things they do when you are over 35 - clearly on your last legs at that age...

katef Guest
    Ah, I see. Thanks for that - good to know!

I'm 30, but just want to be sure that I'm getting all the right tests, etc. It seems that there's a lot of choice and I'm not really used to having to make decisions about tests, treatments, etc. Coming from the UK, the NHS seems to offer a more or less standard prescribed service to everyone although this may just be my perception. Too much responsibility - I'm scared of getting it wrong!

So many of the mums I'm friends with are 35+ and it really seems things have changed for the better! My mother was 28 when she had me and was the oldest first time mum that the nurses had seen at that time - seems almost unbelieveable now!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast