Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What kind of a dog?

Neha is offline Banned

What kind of a dog?

Hi

never had a dog before. Want to get my son ( 4 yr) a dog as we have recently moved out of HK, have no idea what to look for.

We live in a house , have a yard, very active 4 year old. 4 adults in the household

Was looking at some options- a BEAGLE / Golden Retriever.

Any suggestions will be helpful

Thanks

Gataloca is offline Registered User
    I think golden retrievers are more kid friendly. Beagles are very active dogs, and may bark a lot also.

TheQuasimother is offline Registered User
    We had a lab for awhile. The sweetest and nicest dog in the world! My son (3 at that time) could climb on him like a pony, the cat would sleep next to him and he never reacted. Needed lots of walks though.
    “If you want to get to the castle, you’ve got to swim the moat.” Richard Jenkins in Eat Pray Love

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    definitely a golden retreiver - their temperament is suitable for children compared to beagles...labs are good too! :)

eneri7 is offline Registered User

Smile

Why not check out your local rescue and look at the available dogs? It's a common misconception that labs and golden retrievers are the only good family dogs.

Beagles definitely require lots of exercise and can get snappy when it comes to food- they're hunting dogs after all! =)

We have 2 adopted mongrels and they are great with our little one. ALL dogs require daily walks though and without my helper it would be a big strain. It's really a big commitment so my advice is not to get a dog unless you're really sure.

Good luck! For those in HK, I can recommend a great lady who homes dogs and cats in coordination with local rescues: Kirsten 9490 2061. Talking to her is really helpful.

KeHK is offline Registered User
    With dogs, it's not just about the breed, but actually more about the individual dog's character whether it's kids-friendly or not. It also depends on whether you want to get a puppy or an adult dog. Puppies require a lot of work and patience, it's almost like having a toddler in the house. Once a dog is properly trained, it gets easier, but as eneri7 said, ALL dogs require daily walks, playtime, cuddling, care, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge dog-lover and grew up with dogs myself (not in HK though), but adopting a dog is not only about getting a buddy for your son, it's about making a big commitment from your side for many years. They not only require a lot of time, they are also a cost-factor (food, toys, veterinarian, etc) which needs to be taken into consideration, plus you need someone to look after them when you're on holidays or even when you're just going away for more than 4-6 hours in a row (of course if you have a helper, it makes things a bit easier).
    I agree with eneri7's advice to be 100% sure you and your family can give such a commitment before actually getting a dog. Should you decide to go ahead and adopt a dog, it's also important to teach your son how to conduct himself around a dog. Good luck!

geomum is offline Registered User
    Before you get a dog remember:
    1) Dogs are not toys or accessories.
    2) They are like a 2 year old who never grows up and has to be taken care of with immense patience, time and love.
    3) They have to be treated like your own children.
    4) Do not get a dog if you change countries often, bringing a dog out of India takes a lot of work and is very traumatic for a dog.
    5) Its a commitment for 8- 15 years (Depending on breed).

I suggest you bring a friend's dog over for the weekend or spend few hours each day at a friend's house taking care of their dog to know if you are ready. I absolutely love dogs by the way and can't tolerate people mistreating them. As for breed any dog is a good dog, but avoid pit bulls, rottweilers and german shepherd for kids. Choose a good breeder with history and reputation, even it means paying extra for the puppy. Ask about the history of the dog you want to adopt, about the temperament of the parents and their health history. After you get the dog de-worm it and get vaccinations necessary (As you do for your son). Get multi vitamins etc if necessary. And remember don't feed your dog people food. Good luck!!!

Neha is offline Banned
    thanks everybody for advice.We are looking at getting a dog only in March next year so will explore all options before getting one

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast