Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

April 2011 Moms

mariac is offline Registered User

babyblue, have you done any personal research on how common down syndrome is as a genetic problem? how often is it passed on as a genetic condition? perhaps you wanna read up on it a little bit before you make a decision. on the other hand, if you feel like an amnio wouldn't change your decision about giving birth, then is it really something you want to put yourself through, emotionally and physically? i don't know...just some thoughts. i know how tough it must be. i didn't do an oscar at all as i didn't want to put myself through any of this, based on somewhat inaccurate testing.

as far as natural birth - for some reason the thought doesn't scare me even though this is my first. the prospect of an unnatural birth (c-section, complications) scares me more.

babyblue#1 is offline Registered User

Thanks ladies..

I did reseach for a whole day and found out a lot about down syndrome... there's 3 types of down syndrome and only one type (5%) would pass onto family members. And my lil sister's type doesnt pass on.

After seeing wat my parents , me and my brother went thru when i was young, i dun think i can bare to have a ds baby and for sure, finding out if my baby has ds we would give it up. I'm sorry if u guys think my decision is mean and selfish but i started helping my parents looking after my little sister with ds when i was 5, and it was extremely hard on us.

So i have decided to see my OB for 16 weeks check up next week, then will definately get the amnio done depends on when. But do u ladies know where i can get it done that will get the result asap?

smile-ss is offline Registered User

Babyblue, I also decided to do an amnio because of some family history issues. Now I am at 12 weeks and I will skip the OSCAR and go for an amnio directly at 16 weeks (cause the result of OSCAR won't change my decision on the amnio). Hopefully the result of amnio will put my mind at ease but as mariac said it sometimes isn't accurate. It is indeed a touch decision! Regarding the miscarriage risk, I don't think we should worry too much about it because I barely heard anybody lost the baby because of the amnio, and think about most of the pregnant women who are over 35 are getting an amnio automatically anyway (at least in HK). So the risk shouldn't be that scary.

After the amnio you can pay an extra cost (private is about HK$800, not sure about public) to have the test gone through a FISH technique then you will have the basic result in just about 2 days.

Thanks smile-ss, at lease i know i m not alone here... my OB told me that amnio cost $4500 but didnt tell me when i can get the result... and i guess this is market price...

Violet A is offline Registered User

Hi Babyblue
    I don't think anybody has any rights to judge on the choice you & your husband make - to be honest with you, we did choose to do the Oscar test and I think we would have seriously considered our options if we have had a high chance of having a DS baby.. my husband says we are too selfish not to.
    So anyway, in the end, it's your life and I don't think you should apologise to anyone for making your own decision that's best for you and your family. All the best!

Happy One is offline Registered User

Hi Babyblue,

I'm not in your due date club but saw your post and thought I'd respond since I've done the amnio before. It is meant to be very accurate in telling you about down syndrome (almost 100%). After the amnio, I went straight home and rested for the rest of the day/evening, and took it easy very easy for a few days afterwards. I did mine with Dr Lam (2877-3280). They called back the next day with the result for down syndrome and the full results are available 2 or 3 weeks later but they only call you if there are any issues. It cost $6000. If you have any other questions, let me know.

Good luck. It will be fine. I felt the hard part was making the decision to do it - the procedure itself is not too bad.

mariac is offline Registered User

Babyblue, i totally agree with Violet A - whatever you decide, it is not anyone's else's place to judge. It is your life and your baby. And this forum especially, I believe, is a place to share and support. So let us know how it goes and till then my best wishes and prayers are with you.

Thanks ladies..i m so touched right here necause its the first time i can feel supports and understandings.
    i picked up the exact ratios for the OSCAR test yesterday and consulted another OB.
    NT: 1.4cm, blood test: 1:10000, triple test: 1:20000
    the 2nd OB that i saw was telling me to wait til the structure scan @ week 20 or my 16 weeks scan next week to see if baby has nasal bone. He was telling me that 9 our of 10 babies with ds dont have nasal bone and i shouldnt worry too much til the scan.
    I feel so much better after expressing my feelings and concern here.. i couldnt tell my family members because i know they would worry sick and my husband had enuf stress to handle from work already..
    thanks a lot ladies..... i really appreciate the care and support here!

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast