Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

No poop!

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User

No poop!

My 10 day old baby who is exclusively breastfed has not been pooing a lot though she has been having enough wet diapers. Should I be worrying? She's not the best eater and prefers sleeping to eating. She goes on the breast for around 20 minutes 8 times a day and for three of those meals I usually top her up with an ounce of pumped breastmilk. She rarely cries after a feed so I can only assume she is full. I just worry that she isn't getting enough. Any thoughts would be great! Thanks!
    Posted via Mobile Device

shuchisingh is offline Registered User
    if she's wetting 6-8 diapers in a day and her weight gain is on track, then she's having enough. babies can sometimes go up to a week without poop - it's normal.

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    We are usually looking for a newborn breastfed baby to be having at least two dirty nappies every 24 hours. Longer periods without pooing is normal in older babies but is quite usual in a baby under six weeks of age.

If your baby is on track for weight gain then it is likely all is well. If, however, your baby hasn’t regained (or nearly regained) her birth weight then I would consider getting your breastfeeding management checked by either a lactation consultant or a La Leche League Leader.

Best wishes,
    SARAH
    La Leche League Leader
    www.lllhk.org